Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Last year after work I helped a stranded food delivery lady. l then I saw her again months later and she had another vehicle. Apparently someone stole her car in the middle of the night and made it disappear. She believes it was stolen by a rogue tow truck driver and she believed her car was crushed for scrap metal cash. She couldn't be unconvinced. They needed her chip key fob to start the car and she still had hers. Like these eight $65,000 school buses last year in Chicago. Scrap yards look the other way and bad people steal our cars, air conditioners, and our copper electrical/plumbing conduits for pennies on the dollar and it costs us 5x to cover damages & labor. I guess this is why LoJack, Viper, and surveillance systems are in recession proof industries.

8 school buses stolen, turned into scrap | WGN-TV
My brother in law had his 2004 Intrepid stolen. It had a chipped key. You can start those vehicles without the chipped key.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Tow trucks stealing cars for scrap happens sometimes here. There is legislation in the works to regulate it.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
My brother in law had his 2004 Intrepid stolen. It had a chipped key. You can start those vehicles without the chipped key.
They might have bypassed it (older Chryslers are sort of notorious for being easy to steal), or they may not have started the car if they had a tow truck...

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
If anti-theft systems were foolproof, car theft would hardly exist at this point. The same is true with wheel locks and wheel theft. Things like locks and anti-theft systems are just there to keep honest people honest. If someone wants something badly enough, they will get it. Every device you put in the way of something being taken is just lowering the odds of it being taken, not eliminating the possibility.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,056 Posts
The real question is who would steal a 2004 Intrepid? Did they have a need for a spare 2.7L? Every yard I've been to is loaded with Intrepids of that era...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts