Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just thought I'd showcase my fairly recent purchase. It's an 88 GL Wagon with a little over 57k miles. It was purchased sight unseen through Autobidmaster (Copart for regular non-dealer buyers). I lucked out pretty well; car drives very nice and smooth, interior very clean, paint cleaned up very well. It does do this weird thing where after you've driven it for a while and the transmission fluid warms up, when you let off the gas at slower speeds, the car feels like it stops on its own (no brake pedal used). I'm not sure if this is torque converter related or what. The problem goes away after you turn the car off and come back to it later to drive somewhere. I'm planning on doing the pan drop and filter change tomorrow, as well as other maintenance items (plugs, wires, fuel filter, recharge the A/C, etc.). I also, plan on doing a Clark Griswold/Christmas Vacation to it by painting it green, installing wood paneling, and slapping an oversized Christmas tree on top when the time comes :) Before anyone jumps on me for painting it, it's already been painted in the past, and has a few very minor rust issues that need to be addressed eventually, so...

If anyone has any advice for me such as changing a common failed part early before it fails, or any other advice, I'm all ears! Glad to be here!
Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Car
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Window Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Trunk

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Interesting how the wagon design has not changed through G-4.5. they got it right the first time. Pic of '04. (mine)
Gotta love the old school speedo. I am old enough to remember the GOV reg about the limit on speedo.
Nice car.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, I did a transmission pan drop today to change the fluid and filter and there was no magnet in the pan 😳 The good news is the fluid and filter had been changed previously, since it had an aftermarket filter. I called my local Ford dealership and the gentleman said they didn't list a magnet for those transmission pans. Again, it's an 88 with the AXOD I assume. Anyone else not have a magnet in theirs? Fluid was pretty dark with metal floating around (obviously)
Brown Wood Sleeve Art Automotive exterior

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
That does not look good pic of '03 with 80K on it. Pic of magnet. Pan is steel and a donut mag will stick to it and stay put. Clean well and epoxy if you like. Donut magnets come from old speakers.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts