Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok, so I am sure some of you remeber, I am the guy with the 97 vulcan with a high idle that cannot be fixed or diagnosed. I never get any trouble codes, and I have changed the things that you would think cause a high idle. I have spent hours with full tanks of propane on non windy days looking for vacuum leaks.

Guess what, I have a friend that is a mechanic and owed me a solid. He said he could fix my car no problem. I dropped it by today and they got to working on it. He called me tonight and told me they think I have a computer disconnect. They cannot get any trouble codes! They have even tried causing trouble codes. Pulling spark plug wires with the engine running, shut off the fuel pump with the engine running. They cannot get my computer to complain!

What do you guys think? New computer? Has anyone heard of this!

B

·
0 Posts
Misfires usually take a while to show up, and only show up when under load as far as the computer's concerned. The fuel pump will not set a check engine light when the fuse is pulled.

Have them try disconnecting the cam position sensor, and the coolant temp sensor (s). I forgot to plug mine in when I swapped the motor in my 97, and it set codes almost immediately.

Have they hooked a scanner or code reader to it? If the computer was non operational, a few things would happen. First, the car would run like shat. Second, the scan tool would not be able to make a link with the computer and would tell them that. Third, and most possible for a fried computer, the engine would crank and not start.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Very odd problem..... I've only encountered this on Uhaul trucks..... the older style ones that is. If the computer was disconnected or inoperable..... the car wouldn't have run or started at all. What i've found on the uhaul trucks (some that have shifting problems and drive sluggishly) they have no ground to the PCM relay and no power from the PCM relay to the PCM. It is still possible for the Uhaul diesels to run without PCM operation because the engine is basically a "creature" once you turn the starter on it will keep running on its own so long as there is fuel. The fuel injection is all mechanical (except for the constant 12v that goes to the injection pump on key on). The transmission usually doesn't shift very well if at all and the truck moves sluggishly. You will notice something is up if you look for the check engine light bulb check at start up, it will not light up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

I just picked up my car from the shop and was talking to my buddy. I guess they can cause error codes to pop up like missfires and such, but the computer does not store them. They can only get codes if they are hooked up to the computer with theirs, getting live data. My computer cannot store codes!!

Anyone know where I can get a new computer?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by davesbedroom+Jan 22 2004, 09:42 PM-->QUOTE (davesbedroom @ Jan 22 2004, 09:42 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-sundarpn
@Jan 22 2004, 10:22 AM
or disconnect the "ford fail-safe" DPFE sensor. 

what is that?
[/b]
Differential Pressure Feedback EGR sensor. It basically senses when the EGR should be open or not, and is extremely prone to blockage; mine broke, and I'm pretty sure anyone else on this board who has ever had an EGR problem has had their's broken too

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh good, I dont think that has anything to do with me though. My computer doesn't store codes, and it probibly more screwed up than that, because it doesn't idle right and it sucks. The guys at the shop couldn't find any leaks or reason for my car to idle high and screwy. My computer is screwed up and I am afraid it could blow any day! I am putting money on a new computer making my baby run great again. Who wants to take bets?

There are a lot of computers for sale for my year car, how do I know which computer is right for me? where do I get the calibraition code? Where is the comptuer so I can take it out and get the numbers off it?

Am I the only guy on this board to have computer problems like this? I am going to be famous. This is ironic because for my job I am a system admin / database admin. computers are always trying to kill me!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Props to dant98

I was able to see the label on my EEC-V computer without taking it out!! It is right there on the back of the firewall sticking out enough to read! Good Engineering!

Monday I am going to order a replacement from the link dant98 supplied for CHEAP. Rock! :jumpingjoy:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Computers are always trying to kill you?
Oh, you must not be using Macs.

Now if Apple just made automobile computers...

Go ahead - FLAME ME!
I can take it!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Jan 25 2004, 11:35 PM
Computers are always trying to kill you?
Oh, you must not be using Macs.

Now if Apple just made automobile computers...

Go ahead - FLAME ME!
I can take it!
Its sad when at 9:00am I have finished laughing the hardest I will all day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts