Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after doing the springtime maint. on the wagon, I noticed alot of cracking on the sidewalls of my tires, all within the first inch of the wheel. Now, I see this as a manufacturer defect becasue these tires are ONLY 17 months old and only have 15k miles on an 80K tire. The tire wear is all the same on all 4 tires and even across the tire, so there is no possible question about abuse ( sidewalls are all in excellent condition to--no curb rash). I stopped at the tire shop that put them on and they are calling Yokohama and will get back to me with a possible solution. My thought is that this is a manufacturer defect and there should be no pro-rating of the tires since there is no abuse or issuers on my side of the deal. I will keep everyone informed as to what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I have those tires on my Sable and they have 16k on them and no signs of any cracking or abnormal ware.

I should say that my tires are only five months old.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Sounds like dry rot.
What's the manufacture date code on the tires?? :)

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (duraSEL @ May 4 2009, 06:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722872
Sounds like dry rot.
What's the manufacture date code on the tires?? :)[/b]
I agree it looks like dry rot, but the odd thing is the back sides look fine. I dont know what the date code is, havent looked at that yet, never thought about that. I had the same problem with a set of firestone firehawks, well, 5 sets of firehawks. Firestone said that I caused the problem by washing my tires to much ( once a week with wesleys bleach white ) but they kept putting new tires on every spring for 5 years until they put a better tire on, then didnt have the problem again. What worries me with these, is you can see the belts through the cracks. I check the pressure once a month and keep them at 32psi and rotate every 3k to 4k. Its just odd that its only the first inch of tire around the rim, not farther down the sidewall.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
find the date code on the tires. They are going to be a lot older then 15 months.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just got the call from the tire shop. Yokohama is sending him 4 NEW tires and they will be installed on the wagon at no cost. This is telling me 2 things, 1st - Yokohama is accepting fault for the tires cracking, whether its dry rot due to age or something else, and 2nd - Yokohama stands behind there product as being a quality tire that you feel safe about buying. I did just buy set of these for the wifes mustang and now I am glad I did. When you have customer service like this, you dont mind spending the extra money.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Great to hear!
They cracked on the one side only because that's the side facing the sun. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts