Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 5 months ago I had a tire problem on the left front where my tire looked similar to the picture below. (Just much worse). This was right before I had my new rack put in, so I figured they may be linked. Anyway, yesterday on the way to work I change lanes then I feek the back of my car get squirmish and I hear this "flap flap flap" noise. I get out and the tire is falling apart and hitting the wheel well. I was able to cut some tread off so I could safely make it off the freeway and to my boss' house. Anyway, I took some pictures of what the tire looked like when I took it off. It was the rear left side tire this time. It needed to be replaced, but this problem looked exactly the way it did prior. My air pressures are right on and I check them weekly.

What could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The outside had very faint slash mark treads that disappeared within 20,000 miles or so. The max pressure for those tires was 35PSI and I always had it at just about 33PSI because that's what it says on my door jam.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I had that happen on one of my dunlops when i peeled out around a corner, but yours were on the back...If you take your ramps hard it may have caused some stress on the sides of them seeing that the tread is at the wear bands. If you dont corner hard, I'd say underinflation...and if i recall we are independent suspension, so maybe u need to get the rear wheels alligned? Thats my 2 cents.... Just dont race on it like i did with one of mine...BIG MISTAKE....but thats a story for later. Check out Yokohama Avid Touring's on www.tires.com . I have them and there awesome. I beleive the one female on here with the white taurus....i cant remember her name, has them also...

I always keep my tire pressure at 32.....But I would get your rear suspension looked at. I women i worked with had a similar problem with her Altima and the mechanic just had her put heavy bags of sand in her trunk rather than replacing suspension parts, and the tire wear has improved.......

~Chris

Looks like Tori gets new tires for christmas!

mines gets a new hub and a total rear brake job (calipers, discs, ect....)

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
The problem could be those tires were practically bald. How many miles were on those things?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Holy smokes, how fast were you goin???

J/K

I agree with the miss alligning, maybe try and get that checked out.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by duratecchie@Dec 23 2003, 10:32 PM
The problem could be those tires were practically bald. How many miles were on those things?
Yeah, really. Another month, and you'd have had a nice set of racing slicks!

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
90-100 over a wave in the road then went into a turn when the tire gave out, causing me to spin....I was chasing after my friends GTP. Oops :redface: .

At least I'm a good driver.... did 2 360's to avoid a gaurdrail, f-150, cadillac, ditch....i parked next to the ditch facing the wrong way.....then laughed, then my friend in the GTP backed up and looked at me like i was nuts. I can honestly say i hated my Dunlop tires tho, the coopers on the front saved my a** even tho those were crap too. But thats the story, and I'm sure i'll need an allignment too......this is also why i need a new wheel bearing....and why my front shock is mounted crooked now....it coulda been worse, i coulda ate the gaurdrail, or got eatin by the f-150. But yes now that you know i am a crazy bastard, get your wheels alligned...lol.

~Chris

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had them aligned tonight when I had new tires put on. The tires had about 50,000 miles on them and needed to be replaced shortly anyway. It's no big deal, but what gave me concern was that the same tire problem occured about 5-6 months ago (20,000 miles ago) and that tire was still in great shape.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
What kind of tires did u get? huh huh huh....lol

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Man, those tires look like Cole Trickle's in Days of THunder

·
Registered
3 Posts
it was time for those tires to go you wore past the tread indacator and if there past two years old they start to dryrott. the good thing is you got off the high way safely (good job on that)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts