Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today while pulling out of my friends driveway that there was some time of fluid leaking a lot. I knew the tranny fluid leaked a little bit but not like this. I wasnt sure where it was exactly coming from so i came home to look around. It's coming from this part in front of the fan and seems to be all corroded. I left the car running and checked the tranny fluid, which there was slim to none. I added some in and it all slowly poured out of this area/part. What is this part exactly? Can i add that stop Leak crap to it or whats the best thing to do?

Part circled in white

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
What you've circle is almost certainly one of the two air conditioner lines as it feeds into the a/c compressor right under the power steering pump.

Are you sure the fluid that's leaking is transmission fluid (red, or at least reddish)?

You have quite of bit of power steering fluid that's come up through the relief hole in the reservoir cap -- are you sure that's not the source of the fluid flow? Just to confuse the issue, the power steering system also uses automatic transmission fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I think I found the problem. Your engine opil dipstick is in upside down :lol2: :) :eek:

Seriously, the problem might be a leak in the power steering lines.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i could be about 90% correct that it is transmissin fluid. The powersteering does go out sometimes and its harder then heck to turn but its usually okay. The fluid is red just like the transmission fluid. The circled spot is exactly where its coming from and my air conditioner doesn't work. Im confused on what it may be. If it is tranny fluid i dont know if i should be driving the car then if its bigger then i think i it

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahahaaa yea i know im not the brightest crayon in the box but maybe it is the powersteering but the part is still rusted and what looks to be rubber is completely cracked i believe

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
If there's oil seeping from an a/c line, it might be refrigeration oil, used to lubricate the internals of the compressor. The fitting you've circled -- doesn't it go to a fitting on the aluminum assembly below the power steering pump? That aluminum dingus is the a/c compressor. Just to 100% locate what I mean, the compressor has that 4-wire connector (just above and to the left of your circle) going into it, or into one of the 2 lines, very close to the compressor.

EDIT: Pretty sure the cracked rubber is just foam insulation on the a/c line to keep it as cold as possible until it reaches the evaporator in the heater assembly. /EDIT

The only transmission related component anywhere near where you've circled is possibly the tranny cooling lines that convey hot transmission oil to the radiator or tranny cooler in front of the radiator and the cooler fluid back to the transmission. However, these are usually snug up against the back bottom of the radiator (or the front bottom of the same).

It's certainly possible for them to leak. Leak-fix won't fix the leak but if tightening connections doesn't work, then replacement of the lines will.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay im gonna see what i can do about tightening them first. i just dont see why it would be leaking so much to where i have to add tranny fluid everyday to my car. Thanks for the info everyone especially OldWagon. To tighten i just tighten a bolt or what is there since i dont really know much about it =/

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
The fluid cooling lines have a variety of fittings.

Compression fittings on the tranny body (don't over tighten -- in fact, don't touch if they aren't leaking)
Compound crimped fittings where metal tubes transition to rubber (no way to fix -- if leaking, you have to replace)
Threaded fittings or other types into the radiator or into the cooler pipe in front of the radiator.

If you're adding tranny fluid every day, look underneath. The transmission oil pan is the flat one that's behind the rounder, deeper one for the engine. The pan often develops leaks around its gasket. These can be controlled for a time by tightening down the multiple bolts around the perimeter -- but try not to tighten them beyond 9 ft-lb., which is not very tight.

If you're not used to working under your car (a) have a friendly repair shop with a lift do the inspection and tightening. Tell them to NOT tighten over 9 fl-lb. Or ( B ) use secure jack stands before you get underneath. Unless you're tiny, you'll have to raise the car to see all the transmission pan bolts.

Also, the pan is not the only possible source of leaks. It could be leaking around the half shafts at the tranny case. It could be leaking at the main seal (where the engine flex plate/flywheel connects up with the main shaft of the tranny). It could be leaking at the valve body, which runs up and down and is found next to the driver side fender under the air box.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
It could even be leaking at the base of the tranny dipstick...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Check your fluids. If its red its either P/S fluid or Tranny fluid. Which ever gets lower and lower is your leaker.

Is it coming out of that fitting, and are you sure. Get your hands dirty and figure out the exact source.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:
okay so had someoe pour in fluid as i looked under the car and i found out its not the part at all. Sorry for the mass confusion its coming from the part underneath the fan. I wasn't able to lift the car today due to work but hopefully tomorrow i can see if its a hose or if its actually coming from the part. Is there a part that passes tranny fluid under it? like i said it may be a hose but unsure right now

·
Registered
513 Posts
If its from the transmission it would have to be an ATF cooler line or radiator ATF cooler leak in that area. But as mentioned already also look at the PS lines around the PS pump and I think there is also a PS cooler line (short hard line loop). Is your PS fluid red like the ATF?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I HAVE FOUND WHERE IT IS COMING FROM FINALLY!! i thought itd be something major or whatever but it was this little hose right here. the hole is little and shoots out quick only when the car is runnin. whats the line for anyway? the leak is from a little hose on the right of the bracket.

·
Registered
513 Posts
ATF cooler line. It runs ATF from the tranny to the radiator ATF cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
More information here. http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58931

I wasn't able to find SHOZ123's tranny line write-up referenced in that thread in post #2 via the search function. Basically, you can replace the steel line with 3/8" I.D. transmission hose + 3/8" O.D. brass fittings with NPT threads on one side and hose barbs on the other.

Maybe someone else can find SHOZ123's writeup and post a link. It's not in the Topic Finder.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool thanks guys. Is there a temporary fix i can do for right now until i can head down to the auto store or give ford a call

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bet MacGyver would do something with bubble gum and a hose clamp hehe. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ha only if im good for trying anything at the moment. I went to autozone and they can order the part for 83.00 bucks. Does that sound reasonable and he said for the mean time just buy electrical tape and wrap it where the hole is at for now.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Try your local Ford dealer. There are reports of a more reasonable price. Your mileage may vary. Depends on the dealer.

As for electrical tape... this is under pressure and it's hot. Not a huge amount of pressure. Maybe a bunch of turns of electrical tape, pulled taut to stretch it a bit in a kind of tennis racket wrap (up and down a distance each way beyond the leak, with half-overlaps).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts