Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been beat to death, at least about some of the earlier years, but I've got a buddy with an '06 SEL, 3.0 that's got the radiator side of the pan leaking a bit. I climbed under the car tonight to get a look, and it seems pretty straight forward. Starter's gotta come off to get access to the trans shield, to get access to the back few pan bolts, but the Y pipe is at the balancer, doesn't run under the pan... unless you count about 1/2 inch or so vertically, but a few inches down. I did a little searching through the site and every post talks about pulling the Y pipe, but I just don't see why. Of course I didn't find anybody that'd done an '06 or newer, just the older models. So am I seeing this right? Will I get away without dealing with the exhaust on this one? Would I be "project ahead" to flip through a Haynes book to get a better look at the internals of the motor?
Thanks...:unsure:

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
One more time...
I don't think anyone here knows for sure. I checked the part numbers on rockauto for the cats, looks like the setup is similar going all the way back to 2002. If anyone could confirm that, then I think you'd probably need to drop the exhaust, which I believe is needed for a 2002.

Could be wrong, I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the attempt JW. I'm gonna tear into it tomorrow so I'll post up how it all happens. I will say the rear manifold shoots off to the passenger side, putting the Y pipe out of the way of the pan coming straight down. Is this how the older exhausts are configured?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just like all the other posts, there's nothing special or new about the 06 design. The Y had to come off the manifolds. Without dropping it, it missed clearing by about an inch. Got lucky that the car was new enough it wasn't too rusty, things came right apart, went right back together. Thanks all..

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Glad to hear you gotter done! Dont blame you at all for trying labor, time and knuckle saving angles, but ive never tinkered with a bull as new as an 06. I knew on older ones the y-pipe had to be dropped. Again, good job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts