Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading for hours other topics on the heater blowing cold from t-stat to heater core but both have certain signs. Ok what about when you turn it on and it works fine one day and the next there is nothing but cold air? or the air is hot for 10 seconds then goes cold then if shut off and back on in a few minutes its warm again for about 10 seconds?

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Is this a manual or EATC system?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you are full of coolant and the heat is fluctuating then the flow of coolant is also fluctuating. This would point to the water pump or a severely clogged system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
would a bad water pump cause the car to over heat??? i have lil heat by the time it reaches the passengers its cold again full coolant core is good both hoses are hot thermostat is good i was also thinking maybe its a blend door prob lem, also there is good flow into the coolant resivoir i noticed that the top radiator hose is hot but the bottom is quite cold as cold as it is outside... not sure what to do next ne suggestions

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You need to see if the heater core hoses are both hot. The lower radiator hose should be cold if it is cold outside.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yes both core hoses are hot cant touch them for more than 10 seconds core is not my problem im thinking its a bad water pump i think i might just pull it off and just look at it..... it couldnt hurt

·
Registered
46 Posts
well... i got it to work today i had my uncle look at it hes been a mecnahinc for ford for 32 years now i guess one of my vaccum hoses wasnt plugged in all the way so yea .... thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
46 Posts
well.. its was working for like a week now i get nothing at all im getting kind of ticked off bout the whole thing windows dont even defrost ne more i have no idea what else to look at i flushed the core just t humor my self that did nothing pulled the water pump the fins look to be in good condition i think i may just go with a new core but i dont really want to waste the 50 bux if i dont have to ne suggestions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very similar issue. Mine will not warm up when the blower on full blast, if I turn it on low it will blow heat, but with it on full blast its colder and colder!!

I was thinking maybe a water pump to, but I do get some heat, and my car doesn't over heat, the temp gauge is fine, I've had no issues with "overheating". It seems to run fine. It just will not heat up real well. When I first got the car it use to blow hot enough air you had to reach down and turn it off, because it would get the little shifter on the dash so hot it'd burn you to touch it. Now its just cooler air, I've flushed it, put new coolant in, and now when I get the car back from the bodyshop I am going to install a new thermostat. I suspect at least the one I got was generic, and crappy....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Very similar issue. Mine will not warm up when the blower on full blast, if I turn it on low it will blow heat, but with it on full blast its colder and colder!!

I was thinking maybe a water pump to, but I do get some heat, and my car doesn't over heat, the temp gauge is fine, I've had no issues with "overheating". It seems to run fine. It just will not heat up real well. When I first got the car it use to blow hot enough air you had to reach down and turn it off, because it would get the little shifter on the dash so hot it'd burn you to touch it. Now its just cooler air, I've flushed it, put new coolant in, and now when I get the car back from the bodyshop I am going to install a new thermostat. I suspect at least the one I got was generic, and crappy....
What turned out to be the issue, here? Because I am having this same problem and have zero dollars to throw at it to see what sticks. I've been told it's likely the water pump, and if I buy one I have someone willing to put it on for me - but if that doesn't fix the problem, I'm out of money to throw. I've already had the system flushed and backflushed, and ended up with a LOT of glop in my overflow tank afterward. I asked them to flush it again (no charge, because it's worse after they flushed it), and they said they did but that it needs doing again, repeatedly, when I change the water pump. Thing is, I no longer trust that they aren't trying to screw me out of money just because they can. Mechanics tend to do their best to get into my pockets because I'm a woman - that's why I found this site to begin with.

Help?

·
Registered
25 Posts
What turned out to be the issue, here? Because I am having this same problem and have zero dollars to throw at it to see what sticks. I've been told it's likely the water pump, and if I buy one I have someone willing to put it on for me - but if that doesn't fix the problem, I'm out of money to throw. I've already had the system flushed and backflushed, and ended up with a LOT of glop in my overflow tank afterward. I asked them to flush it again (no charge, because it's worse after they flushed it), and they said they did but that it needs doing again, repeatedly, when I change the water pump. Thing is, I no longer trust that they aren't trying to screw me out of money just because they can. Mechanics tend to do their best to get into my pockets because I'm a woman - that's why I found this site to begin with.

Help?
Start a new thread, this one's too old.
The LAST thing you should do is replace the water pump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Be sure and have the correct star tool with which to get the tensioner off. I had to make a tool run for that one, it was a 15 or 25 size I think. Anyway that one needed a heater core and a water pump. Your symptoms could be either. Be sure and run the error codes on that which will check for thermostat information. The heater core going out does exactly as you describe. Finally it will be never heat. The heater just adds wind chill value. When you pull the petcock off and see what comes out then you will be able to discern a better diagnosis. So the heater core is not too bad of a job cause you can just move the dash out of the way as a unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Denis. It is most likely the heater core, in that they always go out and this forum shows this. This is also a much easier job than Ford specs it. I can do 2 cores in 5.1 hours. My Ford dealer can do one.

Check for codes first. You never know. Drain that petcock and see what comes out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts