Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is scheduled to be fixed in a week. Since I got it, the sound that comes from the wheels is becoming more excruciating. The steering wheel is beginning to vibrate. I've been told by the Mercury dealer that the ball bearings are shot and the whole wheel a**embly needs to be replaced. It actually sounds like Im constantly driving on the rumble strip on the side of the highway. The sound calms down when I turn even slightly to the left. At high speeds ( I use the toll road every day) its not so loud. The dealer says, and I quote, "We'll need the car for a week, and I'm guessing from previous experience with this situation, it will cost around $4,800." My dad and I just turned around and left without saying anything. The non-dealer shop says anywhere from $600-$1000.

If there's anyone who has had this problem and got it fixed, let me know.

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
90 Posts
Be careful with the dealer man.... they useually are priced more becasue they're gonna fix more than that....they'll find an exscuse to probably change the entire driveaxel under there and replace everything....

go to a local shop, one thats got some creditable background and let'm drive it and they'll tell you what must be done and what might help, not fix and charge you for it and tell you about it at the same time.....good luck..

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You would be much better off going to an independent shop. I guarantee it will be cheaper. The hub assembly will need to be replaced.

There is a set of new knuckles with the hub for sale for $99 a pair. This guys has been selling them for over a year. OEM and less than half price. Fleabay knuckles

I would recommend to anyone who plans on keeping their car for any length of time to get a set as this seems to be a weak point in the suspension. I've had both front replaced before and just replaced the left rear this week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts