Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a drain and fill on the transmission performed on my '17 Taurus at Quicklane. It was done at 42K miles. The next day I went on a 250 mile trip and got a yellow wrench light on the dash. Having never seen this before I had the wife look it up in the owners manual. It said take in for service, no help there. After stopping for gas, the light went out and remained out until a 300 mile trip was taken, then it returned. Both times were after a hard shifting from 3rd to 4th. I noticed the transmission was starting to puke fluid out the cap so I checked the stick, over-serviced! I pulled out the repair bill and was charged for 10qts ATF and a qt of flush. After some research I found out they should have only put in 5 qts ATF. Went back to Quicklane and they made good on the drain and fill again but took some discussion about "how much" to put in. The technician did not know and was told by the service manager. Point here is be careful when going to Quicklane, training seems to be lax.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They did many TV & YouTube hidden camera documentaries of those so called "quick lube" service centers, & many failed the tests , for competency & most of their so called "techs" actually doing the services, had VERY little training in the automotive field. Take a look on YouTube to see how they not only give bad service, but try to upsell services that aren't needed & many times , never even do the maintenance they charge customers for.

Something as costly as a transaxle , IMHO , maintenance , even a fluid flush or a simple change, is best done by an experienced mechanic, or an actual Transmission shop. Its not complicated , you can do it yourself , but the correct fill & procedure has to be followed , evidently this "grease monkey" who did your transaxle , didn't even have the common sense to look up the various sources on public media , that tells you how to do the job correctly & how much & the proper transaxle fluid to put in.

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
Shocking that a 19 year old kid making $8.00 an hour has no clue about how to service a car...... NOT!

Yet another reason I do ALL maintenance and repairs on my fleet. I know the job is done right the first time using the highest quality parts and materials available.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tech blamed the service manger for telling him "how much" fluid to use. The service manager just happened to be let go the week before I returned. I find it strange that the tech's don't know how to service a Ford at the dealership. I limit what they can do on my car, but I really thought this was simple enough. I guess it falls on me for not looking harder at the paperwork. Pisser is, they charged me for 10qts ATF @ $7.75/per and a qt of flush @ $42. when I only needed 5 qts, that is a definite up sell.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am not clear if they made adjustments after you took it back. You would think a Ford Dealership would have the resources to determine how many quarts of ATF after a simple drain and fill. It was their error to overfill and charge for 10 quarts, $42.00 for a quart of flush seems excessive. I would tell them I would be a happy customer if they refunded the extra five quarts of ATF, their error, and gave me the flush quart complementary as compensation for my yellow wrench light, the extra unnecessary return trip to correct their error.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
That flush crap often does more harm than good. The only thing that should ever go in the 6 speed 6F50N is Mercon LV. NOTHING ELSE EVER!!!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff K, I agree that is why I told them to NOT put it back in. I did not want it in the first place, especially after I saw the price they charged me. If it works at all, then the 1000 miles or so it was in should have been fine to clean it out. I don't care for extra additives in oil, gas or transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts