Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bumper covers are junk. Front has a giant hole from a jeep backing into it, which ends the life of that cover. The rear has a deep scrape right in the middle and the whole thing appears warped and has license plate bolt marks all over it. I've got a buddy who can paint the new ones proffesionally, I can replace them myself, easy enough. Issue; the price. The front one I can get for 42 bucks, not bad. The rear is 130. This is an 05, so a gen 4.5. The price for a rear bumper for a gen 4, 00-03, is is only 43 bucks!!!

So I'm wondering... well first off what the eff, why is there a 90 dollar difference? I know they're slightly difference in appearance, but really, wtf? But anyway, I want to know what people think. Should I just go with the gen4 rear bumper cover or spend an extra 90 for a gen4.5??

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I believe the Gen 4.5 bumper covers are made of slightly thinner, less durable plastic, compared to the Gen 4 bumper covers. Especially when I've seen torn up covers, the plastic appears a bit thicker on a 4.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the thicker, more durable one - gen4 - is the cheaper one? That doesn't make any sense. But if that's the way it is I might as well get the less espensive, better one. ? I guess.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yes sir, that is correct. This is based on looking at Ford OEM bumper covers, I don't know about aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Are you going to continue parking on the street after you replace the bumper covers? At least you don't own a new car. I would not bother replacing them, unless you can park where the bumpers can't get damaged again. The gen 4 and 4.5 rear bumper covers are slightly different, the lip by the wheel well may not fit.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, yeah I will be. I won't get too pissed about minor damage like the plate bolt marks, but the front is in pieces, litterally, and the big deep scrape in the back bother me so much I just have to replace them. The avereage "bump" doesn't cause major damage. And after I get those on, I'm gonna have the company who comes to the dealer, DentPros, take care of all the little door dings. He said he'd do it for only 80 bucks!! And theres a ton of them! I was expecting him to tell me two or three hundo. Then maybe a clay bar buff and polish... maybe... a polished turd is still just a turd...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The bumpers can swap easy, there are no fitment differences. However, the fascia design is a bit different.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I have driven in Boston before, definitely urban combat driving style. And the locals can tell your not from around there if you use turn signals.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last statement is mostly true. Except I hate when people don't use their blinkas. You can tell I'm from Boston because I flip off people who can't just easily use one finger with very light pressure to tell me which effing way they're going. I love messing with people when they get road rage too, the last incident I was just driving down the street, a car was stopped facing me in the opposite lane, waiting for another car to back out of the driveway they just came out of. I had to slam on the brakes bc the car coming out didn't look. (non abs, screach) So obviously this is my fault? The woman waiting in the other lane started yelling at me because I ended going around the cars anyway. I yelled back "we don't accept snap benefits". I drove away laughing and she looked confused as hell. That's food stamps if you didn't know.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
So where are you getting bumpers for $42? Also what's it going to cost to have it painted? Mine has a slight gash in it, but I wasn't going to do anything, but if it's really cheap, maybe I'll consider it.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Goodbrosuit, i lived in the back bay area along commonwealth ave near boston u. in the early 70s. Parked my white pinto on a side street in early winter and didnt see it until the spring thaw thanks to the plows. It was encased all winter. Thank god for public transit and the subways. Made some good friends working at new england merchants natl. bank. Some hellers from dorchester. Loved that town. Never a dull moment.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm actually from milton, but I don't like to admit it. Dorchester is where I spend most of my time... more the adams village area than :cough: murdapan. The original dot rats always give me the oh you're from milton...

Certifit in Randolph

http://www.certifit.com/images/catalogs/MA.pdf

I haven't used them yet personally, but I know people who have. As far as paint goes, I have a buddy with professional equipment and is certified. He'll charge me cost of paint, so I can't tell you where to go for that. You could always try to do it yourself with duplicolor colormatch and clear, I think it'll take 3 or 4 cans of each, then wet sanding... but it'd probably be better just to bring the new cover to a body shop and have them spray it, then bring it back home and mount it yourself. Call a few shops and get the best price, it should be really cheap. The paint is probably around 20 bucks and all in all probably less than hour labor, and body shop labor rates are alot cheaper than mechanix. So don't let someone at a body shop charge more than 80 to 100 just to paint and clear a bumper cover.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
^ Thats bizarre. My buddy who owns a body shop gets most all his aftermarket parts from certifit. Inexpensive and good quality on everything hes gotten for me. Goodbrosuit, is roxbury still a pretty rough area?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts