Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Yakima Roof rack on 03 sedan... need advice from those who have one

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mlchris2 
#1 ·
So I picked up a yakima roof rack at a garage sale over the weekend for $15.00.

It came with the cross bars, fairing, and mounts. It will hold up to 4pair (ski)/2 snowboard.

I stopped by the Yakima Dealer today to get the correct mounts and they are telling me I need a "stretch kit"... It's $150.00!!! After looking at it, I dont think I need it to carry ski's or boards. Maybe if I was hauling bikes.

anyone have a Yakima ski rack on their Taurus? do you have the stretch kit?

let me know.

#3 ·
Looks like the stretch kit is because the roof is so curved, new on amazon for $112 I'd look on eBay/craigslist though, I'm very jealous at how cheap you picked this rack up, I'm just lookig for one for looks and to hold a cooler on the weekends AND to mount the new train horn I got for free from a buddy I have no space to mount the horns anywhere

#4 ·
I guess after reading up on the Stretch kit and then looking at my car some more, It's probably best I get it.

Yea $15.00 is a deal I couldn't pass up, but come to find out, I've got to drop another some $$$ into it before I can install it. It has the Q-towers but they are missing components.... the swivel bases, the base pads, outer covers. I also have to get the Q-clips, the fairing is missing some hardware, the end caps are missing.

But I guess its better than paying $500+ for new.

thanks for the info s2knott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.