Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in my understanding that no one is currently producing a catless y-pipe for the gen 3? My catalytic converter is falling apart but I don't really want to replace it with another one. I would rather go with a catless y-pipe but from what I can gather from different posts, there were only a few produced and none available right now. How hard would it really be to make your own? Wouldn't it just be a matter of cutting off the old catalytic converter and welding a straight pipe in place of this?

-Scott

·
Registered
695 Posts
Any good muffler shop could easily do that. But will they? They may not want to do it for fear of getting in trouble with the emissions police. I would think that the owner would be responsible not the shop who did the work but not everybody sees things my way.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you're gonna go with the catless to get some performance out of it, it's better to increase the diameter of the pipe. Which that aint to hard but getting flanges made for them might be a little difficult. Getting EXACT dimensions for the mandrel bending, knowing EXACTLY where to put the o2 sensors are other things you have to try and figure out.

But if you just wanna do it so you don't have to replace your converters again and not try and get any power out of it, than yes just have them cut off and weld in some straight pipe and get some MIL eliminators for the o2 sensors down stream of where the converters were.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd stick with stock size pipe. The stock pipes minus the convertors should be more than big enough for any N/A Taurus and the smaller pipe would keep the exhaust velocity up and not reduce backpressure too much.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by 1fast97@Aug 8 2004, 02:24 PM
I'd stick with stock size pipe. The stock pipes minus the convertors should be more than big enough for any N/A Taurus and the smaller pipe would keep the exhaust velocity up and not reduce backpressure too much.
werd.

Jus get the cats cut off and use the same diameter pipe to replace it. It will still be kinda tough to do, but a lot easier than fabricating an entirely new y-pipe with bigger pipes/flanges.

I'll be sure to post pics and video when i get my catless y-pipe made. (using the stock size pipes) B)

·
Registered
324 Posts
what about replacing the cats with hi-flow cats? Is this a good idea, ind if you are going to make your own y-pipe, why not just cut the flanges off the originals and put it on.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 8 2004, 03:05 PM
what about replacing the cats with hi-flow cats? Is this a good idea, ind if you are going to make your own y-pipe, why not just cut the flanges off the originals and put it on.
High flow cats would be an excellent idea, especially if you would like to pass an emissions inspection. The stock flanges are teh small.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
"teh" = "the", in forum language

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 8 2004, 03:05 PM
hi flow cats do not exist ask any good muffler shop they will tell you that there's no such thing.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There were three catless y-pipes made by Draxas, before they realized that they didn't work all too well and went back to their "re-design" mode. Two pf them needed to be scrapped, and the other one is currently on Brad's (Baby SHO) car. I think that was the only one that ever worked.

JR

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any word on when Draxas may be done with the re-designed version?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
hi flow cats do not exist ask any good muffler shop they will tell you that there's no such thing.
what do you mean they dont exist? You can Catco's for next to nuthing on ebay......alot better than spending $540 plus installation on the ford factory Y-pipe.

In NYS if you have under 80k miles, they will replace the y-pipe for free

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Ict_Lx@Aug 9 2004, 04:19 PM
Any word on when Draxas may be done with the re-designed version?
The last I heard it was in a "redesign" phase...sort of like the rest of the Draxas line. Who knows if they'll ever get anything out to us 'tec people. They seem to be taking their sweet a$$ time with the CAI.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
They do seem to be having a lot of set backs. After they finished the catless version, they were going to consider a high flow version with cats. (Can't pass Denver metro emissions if the cats are removed.) I couldn't even get into their site last week.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree...regardless of what they say, I just don't think they're committed to us, since we're a niche market. The six series Duratec and the Rangers have a bigger aftermarket following.

JR

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Aug 9 2004, 04:42 PM

In NYS if you have under 80k miles, they will replace the y-pipe for free
True that.

Mine went bad at 78000 and got a brand new one,. I only had to pay for one o2 sensor to be replaced. And yeah i live in NY :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts