Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a crack in it and the mechanic wants a little too much to replace. Is this something that I could do at my house or does it require welding? Also, anyone got an extra one?(Brad?)

98 Sable GS

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm sure that it's something that involves welding. You wouldn't just be able to tape up a y-pipe like some people do to mufflers that have cracks in them, because of the intense heat that flows through it. Check on ebay and on www.rockauto.com. You might be able to find a decent price on a brand new one.

Which engine do you have?

JR

S

·
0 Posts
To replace the Y-pipe, it does not require welding, you just put the new y-pipe in.. you need a few jacks or a lift though..

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
But depending on how large the crack is, they might be able to seal it with a weld, in which case it would probably require a MIG welder.

JR

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't actually climbed under the car to look at it myself. I was told $800 for parts because there are 2 cats attached to the ends. I have the Vulcan. I never thought of seeing if it could be welded. Hmm...Meineke here I come!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well if it cost that much, then .... try to get rid of the cats if they don't check emission in where you are located. I got rid of mine cats a few days ago and just put on a straight pipe in there and I noticed somehow my Vulcan its kinda of faster than it was before. Even though I put on the rear muffler with Y pipes from a tec Sable I found at the junkyard. It sounds sweet.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts