Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I was just wondering how one can tell if his/her 3G Taurus has a Y-pipe or just a single. Does the Y-pipe vehicles always come stock with two exhausts, or just some times? Is there a number I can check? Anything under the car that would really give it away? Because....I don't know.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now, my DOHC 3.0 does NOT have two mufflers. Can a Y-pipe mean that the "Y" is actually at the front (referring to jw's comment), or what? Because, when I bought my Taurus, it did not come with two mufflers...just one.

And is it possible to add another muffler even if there aren't two stock mufflers to begin with (reasonably, that is)? For the Taurus, would adding another exhaust even add power, or would it just take away some due to little back pressure?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
When people refer to the y-pipe they usually refer to the front, where the cats are.

You can add another muffler though I would make sure the mufflers are the same.

It wont add much power if any.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What all the above said. All G3 Taurus' have 2 cats in a y-pipe assembly. Only selected models came with factory dual exhaust, but you can always have duals added. The dual mufflers does little or nothing for performance, though it can deepen the exhaust note in some cases. Its really more cosmetic than anything.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
What all the above said. All G3 Taurus' have 2 cats in a y-pipe assembly. Only selected models came with factory dual exhaust, but you can always have duals added. The dual mufflers does little or nothing for performance, though it can deepen the exhaust note in some cases. Its really more cosmetic than anything.
I would agree its more of a cosmetic thing. However 2-years ago I had my exhaust completely rebuilt with new Motorcraft O2 sensors and a quarter inch over sized pipe throughout. Be careful not to go nuts with the oversized pipe because you may have problems removing the oil filter (Duratec engine). Not enough clearance between the oil pan and pipe.

However I do believe the oversized pipe has given me more low to mid-range torque. If that's what you are looking for.

Monsoon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.