Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a line on a good pair of front seats from a JY 2004 Taurus sedan. Grey cloth, and I think they're close enough to the color and fabric of my 99 Wagon's front seats. Both the 99 and 04 seats are driver side power, passenger side manual. None of the seats have airbags in the seats. I've checked a bunch of old threads, but I'm not finding any Gen4 into Gen3 and plug-n-play questions.

Does anyone know:
---> Are these seats interchangeable?
---> Are they plug and play or do I need to splice in the wiring?
I believe that I read that the 2004 and up have sensors for the airbags in the seats. If so,
---> will that give me any problem?

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: My current seats are the three piece typical of the 3rd gen - two seats with the center arm rest that folded out to a console or worked as a 3rd front seat. That section of the seat has been removed. The new seats are buckets as the 2004 is a console shift vehicle.

Thanks all,
MCSteven and Bl眉e Longroof

Registered
You'll have to swap the seat bases. The 04 plug is different because it has a weight sensor as well as a distance factor so it knows how much to inflate the airbag

Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll have to swap the seat bases. The 04 plug is different because it has a weight sensor as well as a distance factor so it knows how much to inflate the airbag
Are you saying I'd have to swap the bases BECAUSE the plug is different, or another reason? I can deal with electrical differences - the JY seats will come with the seat side and car side connectors plus 6" to a foot of pigtail.

Premium Member
2005 Ford Taurus SEL
They will physically bolt in no problem. The floor pan and tracks aren鈥檛 different. Yes the occupancy sensor is different as well as the plugs for the power. While I understand you will have the donor plugs and wire, I would just suggest, as above, to swap bases. It is not difficult at all. If I remember correctly, it is four bolts on each seat to move the base to the older track. It鈥檚 easier than splicing and dealing with that. Then you鈥檒l have the upper structure of the seat from the 2004 with the base of the 99 with no odd wiring issues.

Registered
Are you saying I'd have to swap the bases BECAUSE the plug is different, or another reason? I can deal with electrical differences - the JY seats will come with the seat side and car side connectors plus 6" to a foot of pigtail.
Paul explained it better than I did, the only difference you will find are the plugs. You can wire it up yourself or just swap bases, which should be faster and easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts