Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting XM for my car. I will probably get the FM Transmitter kind since I have the Autoclimate Controls so I can't get a new Head Unit. My question is, does anyone have the FM transmitter XM, and is it clear. I've heard stories where it's not as clear because it's running off the FM Channels.

·
Registered
336 Posts
A wired FM transmitter will be a major feat due to the non standard antenna connector on the fords and lack of adapter that will go from the standard motorola plug into the ford reciever in the trunk. I gave up and use the $30 cigarette lighter attachment (works with Delphi SkyFi and Roady/Roady2 recievers, which I recommend. It has 8 channels 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7 and 107.1, 107.3, 107.5, and 107.7. and since it's powered (not battery) it easily fits into a slot and will override the faint channel overlaps you'll get. I've been impressed so far, and it's very discreet hiding plugged into the accessory outlet.

For the record, I use 107.3 with my SkyFi and Seattle has a 107.1 and 107.7 and I get no static whatsoever from either station.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I have XM and a stock head unit. I had it installed. They bought some type of input adapter and it isn't modulated it is digital.

I travel a lot and I love it.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by submariner@Aug 10 2004, 01:41 PM
speaking of the auto climate... why did it only come with a cassette and not an in-dash CD? Thoughts?
My guess would be room. There were a lot of components involved in the EATC, so space was limited. IIRC, the CD changer made up because it was considered higher quality than having just a single disc. That gave you a way to play tapes and CD's.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Talk to Jason8225, hes got the transmitter. I heard it the other day. Its as clear as day, clearer than FM radio.

I just may get it too.

-DC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, it looks like it's a go. When I have enough funds I'm gonna get it. That's what I was worried about because we have radio stations on most of those channels, if not, some always come in. I was worried about over lap on it fading into the radio stations. But it doesn't look that way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is where I put my antenna. It could have been installed ALOT cleaner, but I just wanted my XM up and running.

Placed in the window I don't get many drop outs. I only drop signal when I am travelling along side an 18 wheeler, Downtown Chicago (loop) and Iowa city.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is my Sony Reciever. Due to it's size, shape and just pain in the ass design I had no where else to install it. It works excellent there and I have no problem with heat.

Here's the best part:

Sony Receiver: $25
4 Year service plan: $20
Home Kit: $10
FM Modulator(Parts and Service): $65
Total: $120.00
Having free XM service for the rest of my life: Priceless

All of that and I am still under what it costs for a new Roady.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Damn, I'll have to try that. By the way, my dad has XM in his jag, it is an RF mod unit and it looks so out of place. I guess until they make RF nod units that match cream leather and wood grain i'll never like 'em.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 10 2004, 09:31 PM
How do you get free XM?
I get XM free for being a rep, I also get Sirius for free. Spy probably got ahold of a unit that had been returned, or was a board demo and it had already been activated before and never shut off. Regardless, he is reaping the benefit!!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't travel enough right now, but once I graduate, if I end up going cross-country, I'm definitely getting Sirius. My head unit is already configured for it, I just need the receiver and the service. I need to be able to listen to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity anywhere I go, and I wouldn't want to have to bring a list of all the stations that carry them across the country.

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 11 2004, 07:52 AM
I don't travel enough right now, but once I graduate, if I end up going cross-country, I'm definitely getting Sirius. My head unit is already configured for it, I just need the receiver and the service. I need to be able to listen to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity anywhere I go, and I wouldn't want to have to bring a list of all the stations that carry them across the country.

JR
I'm planning on getting sirius eventually as well. I have an Alpine unit that has controlls for XM, but I much prefer Sirius's rock and jazz stations to those on XM. I'll probably end up just having two seperate control units even though I prefer to have one.

Alpine is supposed to have head units out this fall with sirius controls, but I just bought mine and I ain't upgrading anytime soon - hopefully, I had my last head unit for less than 8 months...

G

·
Originally posted by LineNoise@Aug 10 2004, 08:20 PM
Here's my XM install....

This is my FM modulator in the trunk.

Cost: $30 For the modulator and $35 for install (Included, Switch, Antenna Adapter and wiring)
That's a pretty good modulator... I have the exact same one that I used for the computer in my last Taurus. I was going to re-use it for my XM, but the XM unit I bought came with one. :)

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
...Question

I have a Clarion head unit with the Sirius controls integrated, i just need to get the Clarion Sirius box to hook up to it....However I want to use Sirius at home, and obviously I cant drag the modulator inside.....is it possible to have two units on the same contract without being charged double? :unsure:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts