Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to add a satellite radio to my gen4 taurus. can someone give me a run down on a good brand and what all i need to install. any help would be great!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (BiggJames @ Jun 6 2010, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809796
im looking to add a satellite radio to my gen4 taurus. can someone give me a run down on a good brand and what all i need to install. any help would be great![/b]
I hate my Sirius. Its Siriously(snicker) annoying. Its always dropping out when I go under trees.. matter of fact the only time its been ok was on an open stretch of highway... where it promptly dropped signal for no reason.. Not worth it. It came on my car and I'm going to disconnect it so I can use my Auxiliary adapter for my MP3 player.

·
Registered
152 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jun 6 2010, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809808
im looking to add a satellite radio to my gen4 taurus. can someone give me a run down on a good brand and what all i need to install. any help would be great![/b]
I hate my Sirius. Its Siriously(snicker) annoying. Its always dropping out when I go under trees.. matter of fact the only time its been ok was on an open stretch of highway... where it promptly dropped signal for no reason.. Not worth it. It came on my car and I'm going to disconnect it so I can use my Auxiliary adapter for my MP3 player.
[/b][/quote]
this is true. its better just to use your mp3 and have total control of the music.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jun 6 2010, 11:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809808
[/b][/quote]
Buy a better antenna, or place it in a better location on the vehicle. That is no fault of Sirius.

When buying a unit, make sure you can find a model that has a mounting kit you like or is easily detachable leaving no trace of a receiver if you are in a high crime area.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jun 6 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809828
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jun 6 2010, 11:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809808
[/b][/quote]
Buy a better antenna, or place it in a better location on the vehicle. That is no fault of Sirius.

When buying a unit, make sure you can find a model that has a mounting kit you like or is easily detachable leaving no trace of a receiver if you are in a high crime area.
[/b][/quote]

That's what I was thinking... but I'm not gonna waste my money on an antenna when I have my free MP3 player with over 150 GB of music.

Besides, this is the unit that was built into the car. Not an aftermarket unit. So you're probably right.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Wow, I have my Sirius Antenna inside the car, and never had any issues! You must live in a ****** area. My antenna is right underneath the rear window, in the corner.

Again, never had any issues. Only time I have issues is when I go into a parking garage, which is like, once every blue moon, and when I go to get gas if I am under the awning, but I turn the car off anyway.

I love my Sirius Radio, and would highly recommend Sirius over XM. Same company, but I have Sirius without the best of XM, because the Best of XM sucks.

If I got XM, I'd have to pay more for the Best of Sirius, which has better channels. (Mainly Howard Stern, but he's "talking" about retiring now).

SiriusXM has good music channels, I love them. There's tons of music to listen to, and on road trips, I get new stuff. With my MP3 player, I have the same ****. And many times, you hear songs that are amazing, and you can get the Artist/Title from your receiver. I've gotten into more bands because of Sirius. I've heard the songs before on FM, but never knew who sang it.

Look at both packages. Sirius Music Packages + the extras, then XM + the extras. If all you want is the music, they both tend to have the same music packages, then just look at the features, to see which radio you can get for cheapest + package :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I like XM, but that's becouse I like their programs and stations more. You can sample XM online with a free trial, I don't know about Sirius. Go with what has the best programming tailered to your taste.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I loved my sirius when I had it. NEVER dropped a signal besides parking garages, long tunnels, and gas stations. My brother had XM and I always LOVED my Sirius so much better then his XM. Been wanting to get one again but not wanting to pay the monthly fee as of yet since they went up a little.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Man... maybe I need to get a better antenna.... I just dont like how hard it is for mine to navigate.... I dont even get station names... its kinda lame. Probably just the receiver installed...

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Personally I prefer XM. I had Sirius and dropped it because they did not have the "Virus" channel . Here in Canada they told me that I could not order the best of XM on Sirius like you can in the states. However XM in Canada has some Sirius stations which are the ones I listen too, so I switched. Now I have the Virus and my other favorite stations.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Never had a problem with my sirius. And I have had 2 car with manufacturer install, and 3 with my own install. I go with Sirius over XM. But I listen to Howard 99% of the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so sirius radio it is. another question i have is can i hook it up to my factory radio and what do i need to buy or does it come with everything i need to hook it up in the kit?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I think I had the starmate 4? I don't know for sure but the radio tuner in it was great. Just using it sounded like is was wired in. You could add a Pie 3.5mm plug to plug it directly but almost all of them come with a built in FM module to broadcast it to a radio station.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Damn you guys. I Say I got rid of my Sirius because of price and I just get a email asking me to come back and offers free activation and only one payment of $20 for the next 5 months of service. Which one of you work for Sirius and emailed me!?!!? Lol

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (RByers @ Jun 7 2010, 08:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810222
Damn you guys. I Say I got rid of my Sirius because of price and I just get a email asking me to come back and offers free activation and only one payment of $20 for the next 5 months of service. Which one of you work for Sirius and emailed me!?!!? Lol[/b]
They can hear you. :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ Jun 7 2010, 06:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810087
Never had a problem with my sirius. And I have had 2 car with manufacturer install, and 3 with my own install. I go with Sirius over XM. But I listen to Howard 99% of the time.[/b]
Hell yeah! Hopefully Howard doesn't retire... I never get bored of him :(

And of course, uncensored is great!

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
I have xm and l like it. I like the 90's on 9 and MLB.

I've read that some people are getting xm radio for 77 bucks a year. I've tried
but no luck. :(

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I don't like xm as much since they merged with sirius.

Mike
:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts