Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to use my XCal 3's data logging capabilities to figure out if my engine is suffering from spark knock. I hear a very noticable ping/clang coming from the front of my car under certain conditions. Basically it happens while doing between 60-80 kph, around 2k RPM, and only when the engine is under load.

Does anyone know what parameters I should log to look for valves tapping/spark knock? And what exactly am I looking for on the graph to see if it is happening?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Monitor spark and rpm. You should see a drop in spark as the rpm rises if the knock sensors are working. Normally spark will rise as rpm increases.

Some PCMs also let you monitor the knock sensor it self.

·
Registered
147 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 15 2009, 12:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725278
Monitor spark and rpm. You should see a drop in spark as the rpm rises if the knock sensors are working. Normally spark will rise as rpm increases.

Some PCMs also let you monitor the knock sensor it self.[/b]
How do you know if your knock is working? I found mine, but it is as old as the car.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the knock sensor is working it will retard the spark.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If your knock sensor is not working, what are some symptoms to look for?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If it is not working it will set a code. The factory programming is not very aggressive at controlling knock. Excessive spark knock is more a problem arising from engine carbon build up or ingestion of large amounts of blowby. There is the possibility that the gas you are using is crap. Might try a different brand.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How would you describe spark knock? For istance if you rev the motor from idle, and you get a knock before the rpms come up? Or like a light tapping under high load, like say when the car shifts from first to second?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Spark knock is more like a rattle than a tap or knock. At least that's how I remember the sound.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts