Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend had someone hit her taurus GL. It is totalled. I haven't personally seen it but she says the quarter panel has been hit a bit (not the wheel) and the door is krunked up, don't think the B pillar is damaged.

She is going to get pictures for me I'm thinking outside pictures, inside pictures and under the car? Any others I should ask for?

The reason I am asking is because I am going to have her buy it back from the insurance so I can put a new door on it and buy it from her, so I can use it for a commuter.

Any idea of how much it would cost to get it back from the insurance company? Any one do this before? It's a 97 GL with 97k miles on it, runs great.. still driveable.

Anyone know approx on the cost of a door at a junk yard or something? Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've known severial people that have bought their totaled cars back from their Ins. Co. I think it depends on the Co. Some will & some won't; just ask. Some may insist on creating as salvage title and some will not care. The $$ that I hear are around the $150 area and they will NOT re-insure it, usually, under the same owner.

Again, no personal experience here. Just info compiled from misc hear-say over the past 20+ years.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures.. these aren't the best, but I'm trying to get her to take pictures of the underneath on that side so I can see if there are any real unibody problems, she couldn't open the door though.. so I think I'm going to have to go look at it and pry the doors open to see if there is any B pillar or bottom of the door threshold damage. Anything else I should look for?

http://www.taurusclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12206/normal_000_0010.JPG' alt='' width='555' height='400' class='attach' />[/url]

[url=http://www.taurusclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12206/normal_000_0009.JPG][img]http://www.taurusclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12206/normal_000_0009.JPG' alt='' width='288' height='400' class='attach' />[/url]

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am trying to remember where things are on my G3 from when I had the right side apart...I believe there is a 1 to 1 1/2" gap between the fender and the unibody. That part should be ok and the mounts are soft, you can rebend that.

Looks like the lower door took most of the hit. It really looks like it may not have hurt the unibody.

I can't believe they totaled that. It doesn't look that bad.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Hell...just go out and buy a new door and new fender. Even if there is some slight damage, as long as the car tracks relatively straight, and you can get it for like 300 bucks, you're in a win situation. I've been looking into buying doors to repair the damage the drunk did, and it's about 540 for the whole door, but there is a site here that has individual components.

I'm probably going to be buying the outer door panel and the door molding for mine, then getting the door painted (the trim is pre-painted). AFAIK, the outer door panel on our cars is tack welded on, so the gf's dad and I are going to cut the welds and put the new piece on there. If that don't work, then I'll just buy a new door at the junkyard. I'm probably looking at like $400 or so for all the work. Better than the $1948 that the body shop wanted for it...bastards...

JR

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the good news for her is she's got $3400 for it.. and possibly get it fixed cheap.. I really want it but we'll see what happens, she'll probably get what she wants.. women... they just have a way wit things..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts