Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it stands: Tree 1, Car nil. I managed to wreck my left rear quater panel yesterday and now I face the sad task of repairing my mistake.

Unfortunately, I quite unfamiliar with my Taurus ('97 GL), as I tend to ignore the inner workings of modern cars. I've checked to see if there's any damage to the frame and there appears to be none, fingers crossed. Now I need a quater panel. Looking at my car, it seems to look difficult to remove, but I'm sure I can manage.

I need to know where I can get a quater panel, is it worth going to a wrench-it-yourself place, call a junkyard network, or go to NAPA?

Also is there anything I should look out for when working on it? Hopefully I can find a set of black tail lights to replace the brown, too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Well, I have bad news, and worse news.

The bad news is that you won't find the rear quarter at NAPA or a u-pull it. This is directly related to the worse news:
The rear quarter panel is not removable, unlike the front quarter panels, which are. The only way to replace the rear quarter is to cut it out, and weld in a new one from a donor car, I'm sorry to say. This one might be best left to a body shop, unless your welding skillz arr teh win! (That means that you're an amazing welder. A welding artist, if you will...)
Either way, good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah damn, oh well, i just better get a hammer and create clearance for the rear wheel. My car's only worth 2,500 dollars, and I personally just don't think it's worth it to repair.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree. Unless you're planning on junking the car soon, it's definitely worth fixing, as a Taurus will last well into the 200K with proper maintenance (and a transmission rebuild).

JR

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 14 2004, 09:33 AM
I agree. Unless you're planning on junking the car soon, it's definitely worth fixing, as a Taurus will last well into the 200K with proper maintenance (and a transmission rebuild).

JR
Or a good tranny cooler and regular fluid changes.

I would at least get an estimate first. But like Racer said, yeah, you better be able to do it eyes closed before you even attempt it. You can always just cut the new one from a donor car and use it as a template on where to cut and just cut inside the lines and grind it out to fit perfectly (slightly under cut it and sand for a glove tight fit). Then just grind down the welds.

If you can and do weld it your self, I would weld a good 1-2" strip on the back to each piece together rather than just a butt weld between the 2. Won't be much more effore to grind the extra welds down and will make it a lot stronger. I would definitely get an estimate first though. Good luck.

-mobiuslogic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts