Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my taurus got wrecked this weekend. I'm looking for an estimate on how much it might cost for parts---before i get to the body shop.

First--the story--

I was sitting still at a stopsign and a professor in his new-to-him porsche 933 decided to go too fast around the corner and OWNED the drivers side of my car. Lucky for me, i put a bigger hurtin on his ride

anyways, it needs front suspension work, new front drivers side fender, the support structure for it, ENTIRE new drivers door, new rear drivers side door, rocker pannel is torn up, the door frame is bent like crazy and it needs a new headliner (shot the drink from my cupholder up all over my celing.

It's a 2000 taurus SE if that makes a difference--just looking for a ballpark figure...like how much do doors cost--I just dont know these things.

Regrettably, matt...

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
that sucks
that is at least $6000-8000
hell, for that much u can get a diff 2000-2002
how big of a ticket did the dude get?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
If there's a lot of damage on the side, it could be totalled. I'd guess the value to be around 10 grand (just a guess). That's enough for an SHO and still have a few grands left over.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Yeah, also just have them check if there's frame damage underneath all the exterior parts...odds are, it'll cost less to just buy a second hand gen4 than to fix everything in that car.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Apr 5 2004, 06:23 PM
Yep, and if it IS totalled, you can buy back your car from the insurance company and part it out!
and people like me may buy stuff from the totaled car!!!

-DC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duratec motor, and a great tranny--perfect interior still. heh...I am not sure yet.

as for tickets. He was faculty and since campus saftey got there before Monroe Sherriff's dept. he didnt get any citations. He WAS going about 35-40 around the corner, didnt signal, and didnt have his insurance information with him. Now i mean really.... The best part was Douchie McPsychProfessor got to sit in the warm campus saftey car while i was in the 40 degree rain trying to scribble my insurance information on the back of a bill grey's cupon cuz campus saftey didnt have any insurance exchange forms (and refused to ask the sherriff for them). His ins. co. called and already accepted liability for the accident. I just hope they total it--so i can get something a little less--family-ish.

We'll see...but thanks for the input. according to the kelly blue book, the car is only worth 6500--9K from a dealer. in that case, if you're estimates are correct, the car is totaled. Yikes!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's amazing how much value a car loses by being driven off the car lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Alex_Perry@Apr 6 2004, 10:09 AM
get a porche. he wont be able to afford to drive one anymore for insurance, if not afford to buy one. you cruise around in yours and rub it in his face.
the only time i'd every really want to see this guy again is if i took his class and got an A for not even going--hard to propose something like that, but a kid can wish, can't he? heh....

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
For those that haven't seen:

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Well, looking at the damage to your car again, I'm going to guess it'll be totalled. You ripped pretty deep into the porche, and likely your suspension is like a Quizno's sandwich....toasty.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the subframe has some damage to it, not to mention the uni-body being out of whack. If it isn't, well, you're still looking at about 1500 for new control arms, struts, maybe a steering rack, tie-rods, and that's just the suspension. Body damage will likely be another 2-3K. My money's on totaled though. Sorry bud.

-mobiuslogic

PS: If it is totalled.....can I buy your MAF?

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Wow, thats amazing. The side is always the weakest link in any car accident. Your door should of been pushed in about a foot. You have to hand it to Ford for the fact that you didn't get a scratch on you. If you were in something else, it could of been much different. If it is totaled you should remember this, when shopping for a new car, and look for something as safe as the Taurus, if not another Taurus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sure you can buy the MAF..

The impact was the rear edge of the fenderwell...most of the impact was taken by the doro hinge area. i dont know if you can see it, but i ripped a piece of sheetmetal right off that thing. the rear door, if you can tell, has a continuing scratch from the drivers door too. it's a shame to total it because the rest of the car (like 80% of it) is fine, but that one side will take a genious to fix. I think the hinged kinda got folded backwards a bit...it'll never be the same again, that's for sure!

Matt

1 - 20 of 29 Posts