Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finding out my 97 taurus had a cabin air filter I figured it was pretty useless and a ploy for to sell more parts. Looks like it actually works. 125,3XX miles are most likely on this one. :eek:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When I replaced mine, I assume that it was the first time that it was done, at approx 60K, it was that same color...being in the NE, we get really nasty pollen seasons, and it clogs everything up...

JR

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I took mine out and was so disgusted with it, I didn't put one back in (didn't have a replacement.) That was like a year ago, though; the stupid screws on the cowel cover stripped :angry:

Seein that again, though...yuck. I need to put one in soon. I feel really sorry for those who didn't have one originally installed.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 1 2004, 07:12 AM
When I replaced mine, I assume that it was the first time that it was done, at approx 60K, it was that same color...being in the NE, we get really nasty pollen seasons, and it clogs everything up...

JR
Same here, did mine right around 55-58K and it was nasty. They've town up the streets along my route to work for the last 3 years and still have about 2 more to go till they are complete. I'd like to see how bad it is with all the dust from the construction but no since in changing it out until the construction is done.

·
Registered
712 Posts
How much do they run?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
They're about $12 or so, about the same price as a regular filter. Your car may or may not be equipped with the filter. Just go to Autozone and you can pick one up.

JR

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by eCarâ„¢@Jul 1 2004, 11:24 AM
How much do they run?
They also make charcoal ones, they are a bit more expensive. I picked one up at no charge recently, so I need to get it changed anyways. Im hoping its a bit more effective than this one.

I change mine every 12-24 mos or so.

-DC

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
They really help to keep the dust out of the car interior too! I noticed my car seemed to have more dust and particles in it. Turns out the tech at the dealer removed my cabin filter and did not put it or the cover back on when he was repairing the cowl. :angry: It was several months ago so I have no proof but I am ticked off about it for sure.

J

·
0 Posts
yeah, I changed mine at about 40k miles and it was pretty dirty. The replacement was only $12 at AutoZone. :)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I just changed mine and I only have 35k on the car. It was pretty nasty too. Looks like it had been changed once before by the previous owner, I think there's supposed to be 4 clips holding the cowl in place and there's only 3.

Mine was ever worse than the one pictured. It had all sorts of little pieces of leaves and acorns on top of it and the center was pretty much blocked up with dirt.

The Ford Contour was also one of the first cars to have it and it can make a big difference. A friend of mine who had allergies was riding in it once and when we stopped for gas, he got out and started sneezing and all that. Once he got back in and we went for a little, it all stopped as the filter got rid of all the pollen from entering the car.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Yeah same here, was about 12 bucks at pep boys when i changed mine last.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
how does one know if they have one or not i have 35,000 on my 02 sable and i have no idea if i have one or can i add one?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by 02sable@Jul 1 2004, 04:17 PM
how does one know if they have one or not i have 35,000 on my 02 sable and i have no idea if i have one or can i add one?
from reading my new service manual, I think it's standard on our cars here is a quote from the '02 manual:
NOTE: The air distribution system of this vehicle is factory equipped with a cabin air filter.

·
Registered
292 Posts
just be careful when you do it...I broke 2 of the little clips when I reinstalled the filter...if the cowl panel doesn't go back on right all the water rolls down the intake...after getting an inch of water out of my floorboard and draining the blower motor I figured out the cause....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts