Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to explain.94 GL wagon, 130k, had it since 120K. Spent 1k on VSS, blown front tranny seal. Car in great shape, 2 owners, comes with a mechanic I trust (who does house calls).
Dilemma: blown tranny this weekend forces decision to invest nearly 2k for a 12 mo warrantied trans fr a reputable shop in town or cheap rebuild and try to sell it...or sell as is and get something else. Problem is not many cars avail at $2500 range that aren't in as good shape as mine!
I windsurf so the car gets loaded, 6% grades mean torque hell at times, considering a sedan w/ small trailer.

we all love to drive those mega miles but how many cars are trouble free over a 4yr period?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I vote for the home mech doing the rebuild.
But....
-be sure all the updates and mods are done correctly with a new torque converter,
-add a trans coller and synthetic ATF,
-you CANNOT give an AXODE transmission hell on grades; take it easy and don't tow anything except small stuff at low speed (under 50mph) and local (short distances)

My '92 wagon's trans overheats after about two hours running above 80mph. It's time for another rebuild. This time, I'm gonna do it myself to be sure it's done right. I'll also bring the total cost down to around $450 ~ $600 in parts (max; maybe much lower.) I also have a small 4' X 8' utility trailer insteat of a pickup truck and will also tow my '74 VW bug home from time to time.

That's just me. If you have to pay a mechanic.... just trash the car... it may be much cheaper.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I vote for the fix, either a shop or yourself. If you already have tools, then it is a no-brainer. This forum will help you stay on the right track, so don't be shy, ask questions.

1) New torque converter
2) Tranny cooler
3) Synthetic ATF
4) Helms Manual for your specific year and car

Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the votes, Roland and Bill...towed the car home today. My trusty mech is shopping for a used tranny. Based on having to load windsurfing gear, semi mountainous, hot desert area I can't imagine a AOXE lasting long enough to justify not selling this wagon. Too bad since the engines appear good, but too many horror stories abound on the tranny to run the gamble...

I thought new trannys came with the tranny cooler, mine has one now..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts