Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Would you consider owning a Hybrid Vehicle?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would convince you to buy a Hybrid Vehicle? Here are some ideas:

1. Size? (small, midsize, large)
2. Model? (car, truck,suv, sportscar)
3. Price?
4. Warranty of battery pack Etc...
5. Would buy used not new.

Mine would be the vehicle would have to be at least a midsize car and the price would have to be less than $ 30,000 new. I would probably buy used however to save money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd buy one if I was in the market. Right now I have 2 car payments, so buy another car is out of the question. My choice would be a mid size car with 4 doors. I'm curious to see the 2010 Hybrid fusion. According to what I've read, I can travel the back roads to work and not use any gas with it. The Prius is just plain UGLY.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would, but I don't think hybrids are the only answer. Also I am guessing that they would make horrible used cars...for when they go out of warranty...and those batteries finally go bad.......I'd still lean towards a traditional car I think.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would not even consider a hybrid unless gas started to climb over $6.00/gal. There is still a steep price penalty to pay when purchasing one, there are unknown reliability issues, reduced cargo capacity, added weight.... and the list goes on.
I believe that the correct answer to efficiency in the near future is exactly what Ford is doing, making the internal combustion engine more efficient through current and developing engine technology. From what I've been reading the 2010 Hybrid Fusion sounds great on paper and in reviews but did anyone notice the reduction in cargo capacity? 17 cu.ft. for the gas version 12 cu.ft for the hybrid!! That would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Never.

If I really needed >30 MPG there's several VW Rabbits (3 or 4 diesel, 1 gas) sitting around in various places that I'd rebuild. Cheaper, easier, and better for the environment.

If I moved south they'd probably last longer than a hybrid too.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
A gas/electric or diesel/electric hybrid? Absolutely nothing. They're not "green" or whatever you want to call it, and for the way I use a car all it would be is a really heavy car with a small engine - I'm on the highway most of the time so it'd be running on gasoline anyway.

The ONLY way a hybrid even remotely makes sense to think about is if you never leave urban streets and want it for gas mileage alone. That's it.

I can do just as well on mileage with a small, used 4-cylinder or a diesel - and it'll be a lot cheaper to buy and maintain.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would consider it but they would have to be the same price as a regular car and have 4 doors.....I just thought of something....How do you tell the mileage of a hybrid because they have an electric motor and a gas motor? Do they have separate odometers? How do you really know how much mileage is on the engine vs electric motor?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be hard with any car. Who really knows how much people let their cars idle or are stuck in traffic? An hour meter would probably be more accurate.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I would drive a diesel vehicle before a hybrid. Heck, I rented a VW Passat...managed to get 35MPG out of it driving from SC to PA and back (hilly terrain). I wasn't even trying really, had climate control on, used cruise control. That's pretty damn impressive for a turbo 4 cylinder automatic on gas! I wonder what the diesel version in Europe is capable of?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I thought about buying a hybrid at the time I bought the Taurus, but I want to wait for Ford to come out with more models that have their new Ecoboost engines in them. Hybrids are rather complex, and only a fad anyway compaired to what the automakers are comming up with in the near future. If Ford gives the new Fiesta a smaller version of Ecoboost, it should get the same mileage (or better) as a hybrid, without the complexity, weight of batteries, and electric motors-even the new ion batteries add weight. My Taurus is only a crutch til the new +10 models come out, then my Taurus can make somone else happy. This last summer when gas was over $4, I hypermiled and got 23+ mpg city and 29+ mpg hwy-I can live with that. Did anybody hear about that Austin woman who broke the world fuel mileage record Hypermileing in her Honda Civic Hybrid cross country? :chili: Here's a link to it Austin woman breaks fuel mileage record

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No...Do you have a link to it?

**But imagine if you combined these engines with hybrid technology. Super mileage.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for post that link.

Alot of us could easily use some hypermiling tips to increase our fuel economy. I think most involve staying moving and not getting stuck at red lights, keep turns to a minimum especially left turns where you might have to sit for a while at a light.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hypermileing helps a lot, no matter what or size of vehicle your using. The truckers also do it, if they have to pay for their fuel or to get fuel bonuses. I did it this last summer when gas was @ $4 a gal, it also greatly reduces wear and tear on any vehicle. I still have origional front and rear brakes with 65k, fronts have +50% left on them, I can thank hypermileing and avoiding peak travel times for that, but now that gas went down, I'm kinda a speed demon on the open hwy, but I still coast to stops and speed up slowly. I use cruise control whenever I can safely. FYI Austin is considered one of the greenest cities in the us, and not just becouse of the old time hippies :D Hey South Park fans, remember season 10 when Kyle's dad buys a hybrid and becomes so smug they move to San Francisco to be with other smug people, smelling their own farts! :rofl2:

·
Registered
594 Posts
The funniest part about them...They cause/make more pollution to make the batteries than just running the normal gas cars.

And typically they cost about 6-10k more than normal. So for me thinking as far as gas goes...yeah it gets better...but you have a higher monthly payment to afford the car..so its either a wash or still more money once you factor in the payments and insurance.

And they dont make **** for cool ones...sry but im not driving some faggy ass prius too get good mpg. My altima does great like 24/30ish. Premium sucks...but i dont think most of them are worth it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Unless the price was equal to a normal car, and it got DOUBLE the fuel mileage, no. I think a hybrid is a waste of money. Besides for myself and the wife most of the driving is highway where a hybrid fails.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think a straight up electric vehicle would be a hard sell because of limited range. A normal hybrid or something like the Chevy Volt that runs on electric for maybe 40 miles and then uses an engine to keep the battery charged would have a better chance.

I like that Honda. Wild dashboard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think a straight up electric vehicle would be a hard sell because of limited range. A normal hybrid or something like the Chevy Volt that runs on electric for maybe 40 miles and then uses an engine to keep the battery charged would have a better chance.I

like that Honda. Wild dashboard.
[/b]
True, I can use a total electric vehicle to run back and forth to work. That is a 20 mile round trip. I would have to question, how long would the battery last sitting outside in -0 temps. it should also be a good grocery getter vehicle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts