Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all first of all I do not work for Draxas. I was only the taurus donor car guy for most of the parts that come out of Draxas. I have seen the posts on the board and I too was trying to get ahold of Nick, finally I did, and he relayed to me that the production costs were higher than expected, so that is why the product was delayed, among other reasons. He asked me to post on the board to get a guage if people are still interested. If enough people are then "he said" he would get this into production. So please I am only the messenger. I feel bad for 02sable(david) for getting most of the brunt of the questions last time. Unfortunatly due to some people's responses I doubt david will be contributing to the scene in the future. So again neither myself nor david work for draxas. We are people taking our own time to try to help bring an aftermarket to the taurus.
Levi

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I voted "No", but I wanted to vote "It depends." As in, it depends on how good is the fit and finish. $250 is at the upper end of what I'd consider for a really nice CAI that fits perfectly, looks good, doesn't rattle, all the hardware and hoses are correct, etc, etc.

G

·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 11 2004, 05:43 PM
I don't think I would. I think I would rather just fabricate my own. 250 is a lot of money for me, especially when the kit has been on hold for so long (no offense to Bob).

JR
None taken, I had nothing to do with this project.

I don't have a Tec, but I'll offer my opinion. First off, I can understand Draxas' frustration in making Taurus products. Everyone says they want one, but when it comes down to buying it, not many do. It's the nature of the beast, making performance stuff for the Taurus. Secondly, and this is not meant to be a slam to Draxas, or Nick. They have not made themselves very available to the club. For instance, why didn't Nick make this post? I like Nick, I've emailed with him several times and always found him to be professional, courteous and helpful. Sometimes though, you need to make more of an appearance to make things sit right with a club. Lastly, and this is just my opinion, a CAI will do nothing for a Taurus in terms of performance gains. It's a pretty add on and all, and it makes the engine sound cool, but that's about it. If I've missed dyno charts that will prove me wrong, please let me know and I'll be happy to retract that.

For all the people that are interested in this kit, $250 is not a bad price, provided the quality is there on the product. Remember, you're dealing with a car that doesn't have an aftermarket. To find someone willing to make parts for it is a feat in itself, offering those parts for a reasonable price is a bonus.

G

·
Hey Bob, nice to see you again. Yeah Im making a CAI too.

Draxas, they are taking WAY too long. I support them, but man.... too long to make the CAI, and they dont post anything up. Like.... they promised pics, but I still dont see any! I mean, whats up with that?? Im fabricating my own, making a kit that will be available to the public on demand. Cheaper then $250 for sure, and be supplied with a K&N Filter.

This is a little off topic, but how's the FSTBs coming along Bob? Got room to get one out to me?? PM and let me know, thanks

SABLESAL

·
Registered
111 Posts
I answered this with a resoundin "NO". Why? Cuz I scratched togather a CAI in my garage yesterday (Friday) morning. Took me an hour and cost me all of $0.00! And how did I perform this automotive miracle?
Simple. I had to yank out my headlights and disconnect my battery to install my SilverStars yesterday anyway, so while I had it all in pieces, I removed the battery in its entirety, and yanked every last inch of pipeing out after the air box. EVERY LAST INCH. Ill take a picture when I get home from work and see if i can successfully post them this time. Might just put them on my superford acct. Watch your wire bundles, FoMoCo wrapped the tubing with them, its a tight fit, make sure you dont break nothin when you pull them out.
And your DONE. For added bonus, get a K&N panel filter for all of $55 and drop that in the airbox. Now you have that CAI sound (and belive me, between 2500 and 4500 on a 'Tec, its NASTY) and because the battery and the airbox itself shield the hole from the rest of the engine, plus the hole is right next to the one in the fender, its cold enough. If you really want, got to Home Depot and get a standard 2.5" 90* elbow and connect the airbox to the fender, but I am not convinced that will help much. Without it, the air flow has no chance of sucking in copius amounts of water, which is BAD for engines, as we all know.
SO, Ill post the after pics, and do a write up.
$250 for piece of plastic, 2 pieces of pipe, a dozen nuts and bolts, and a filter is downright rediculous, if not outragous, especially as the same effect can be obtained with an 8mm, 9mm, and 10mm socket at the end of an extension, ESPECIALLY as to install his kit, YOU HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING ANYWAY!
*Walks away, muttering about the winner of todays "Congratulations, YOUR STUPID Award"*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts