Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the '04 models they integrated the MAF with the air box so I was going to just run a pipe from the fender to the air box. Would a cone filter in the filter in the fender work better than a panel filter in the air box?
Either way the air box is staying where it is and will modified with a 3" pipe run into the fender.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
A cone filter and a panel filter will flow just about the same amount of air. The only real difference is sound. With a cone filter, I got an amazing roar from my Vulcan starting around 2500 RPM's, and I love it.
You're not going to gain much HP any way you do this mod, so just do it the way you prefer.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, is there any benefit to replacing the factory intake tube that runs into the fenderwell or should I just remove the silencer cone and leave it alone?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Jul 13 2004, 10:31 AM
Well, is there any benefit to replacing the factory intake tube that runs into the fenderwell or should I just remove the silencer cone and leave it alone?
No, there won't be any benefit from running a hose up front. When you take the silencer out, the air will come straight from the fender well. You get plenty of air from the fender well, and it's still cooler air. Running a hose up front won't give you any benefits, and it will just make your filter get dirtier a lot quicker, because you'll be picking up a lot more dirt, leaves, etc. Therefore, I say cut it off, and leave it alone.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I didn't want to replace my stock aribox on my G3, so i attacheed a 3" ST45 ell to it and ran it into the fenderwell. I had to trim a bit of the einner fender, though.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
here's the thing everyone should keep in mind. A true CAI takes air from outside of the engine compartment, which the taurus does stock. Whether you have the stock airbox or not, the air going through the system originates from the same place, the fenderwell. Like Rob said, the only difference with a CAI setup is sound. I'd say, get a good free flowing pannel filter and remove the silencer and leave it at that. but that's just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good. That's what was I was thinking. It will definitely be the easiest thing to do.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by Ryne@Jul 13 2004, 01:32 PM
here's the thing everyone should keep in mind. A true CAI takes air from outside of the engine compartment, which the taurus does stock. Whether you have the stock airbox or not, the air going through the system originates from the same place, the fenderwell. Like Rob said, the only difference with a CAI setup is sound. I'd say, get a good free flowing pannel filter and remove the silencer and leave it at that. but that's just my 2 cents
Yes and no. Actually, a well-made CAI will also benefit the car from a lreduction of presure drops in the intake tubing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts