Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im 16 i just bought a 2000 taurus se from my parents real cheap. i want to put in a new deck and speakers, id like to put in a small sub too but i have to save up some more money haha. but me and my dad were talking and we would like to put 6x9s in the rear deck, but we dont want to have to cut the metal. i could just put some 6x8s if its not possible. ive read some other articles on here, but i havent found one for my particular situation. so if you guys could tell me how you have done it or if its even possible. thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes it's possible but why? 85% of the sound you hear comes from your front stage. So just toss some 6x8's in the back and invest in some nice front speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Just drill holes in the deck to mount 6x9s. No need to cut the metal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have the Mach RCU with tweeters? If you don't have those, get them first - the sound improves drastically. You can then buy a PIE X3 adapter to hook up an MP3 player to the stock headunit.

If you still need better sound, replace the speakers with aftermarket. If you STILL need better sound, then put in an aftermarket stereo/amp (and sell the mach RCU back for what you paid for it)...

If you're going to go with a subwoofer, don't waste time on installing 6x9's...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's possible but why? 85% of the sound you hear comes from your front stage. So just toss some 6x8's in the back and invest in some nice front speakers.
ok i think what im going to do is get 2 pairs of 6x8s and put them in front and back. im pretty sure i know what deck im getting right now but im debating on if i should get these infinities Infinity Reference 6832cf 2-way car speakers for 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings at Crutchfield.com
or these kenwoods Kenwood KFC-C6893PS 6"x8" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
the infinities are 2 ways but the kenwoods are 3 ways so im not sure which ones to get. does the 2 or 3 ways sound any different?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I have Infinity's in my 97 Taurus and they sound incredible. tons of bass (they actually make the mirrors vibrate at times) but yet still really clear highs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would suggest a componet set for the front, two ways in the rear, and since you have a gen 4 like me, I can tell you if you remove the middle car seat anchor there is a hole for a 6x9.

a 6x9 can add a decent amout of bass but its not equalivent to a sub

if your like me and you like to be able to shake you mirrors to the point of uselessness, you need a sub.

·
Registered
367 Posts
6x9's for bass is so old school, just get a sub and crossover your speakers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did it in my 2000 SE. Fold down the back seats, and there are 4 nuts that you have to unbolt. Lift the back seat things - looks like a giant upside down U, then undo the Christmas Tree plastic connectors (gently). The entire carpet will lift up and out, again, gently. Voila! Stock speakers FTL. I forget the size of everything you need, but it all metric sockets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts