Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what kind of problems someone would run in to and if it would work at all? What kind of modifications would have to be done and would the cost of it all be worth it? thanks...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think I would even worry about it. I do believe the law says you can't take a motor out of an older car and drop it in a newer one. I was thinking about doing that once in my little life, and that is what I was told.

J

·
0 Posts
I don't think there's anything saying you can't do the swap (legally) - there are just certain requirements for it for emissions, etc. But that is definitely something you would have to research. I don't know nearly enough to provide you with much information about actually doing the swap unfortunately, but the age old answer is that you can do any swap with enough time, money and knowledge. Obviously you would have to swap the entire ECM and electrical system as a part of it. It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be really cool. I don't know what trannies would bolt up to that engine either - or if you could bolt up one of the newer trannies with some kind of adaptor, these are just some of the things you would have to consider.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Not really worth the time & money. Plus, think how that will kill your resale value when you try to sell it. People buying Taurus' dont want or need the extra power or higher maintenance engine. It would be more affordable & wiser to buy a 5 speed SHO as a project car and keep your Vulcan as your reliable daily driver.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Mar 4 2004, 08:41 PM
Not really worth the time & money. Plus, think how that will kill your resale value when you try to sell it. People buying Taurus' dont want or need the extra power or higher maintenance engine. It would be more affordable & wiser to buy a 5 speed SHO as a project car and keep your Vulcan as your reliable daily driver.
yeah, I didn't even think about the realisticness - I was just thinking about the feasability of the swap. But I am planning on doing exactly what Joe said getting a 5 speed SHO sometime this summer for a fun/project car and the vulcan will be my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Well, practicality aside, I know that you'll definitely have to use the old electronics and wiring to make the yamaha run. Can be very, very tedious tracing out all the connections and where each one goes to and such.

Also, I think you'll have to machine some mount adapters to bolt the engine to the subframe, and use the older tranny found in the Gen2 (which are more prone to crapping out than the later models).

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's a b**** to do and a lot of money. I think you're better off building up the motor you already have in there.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
If I were to suggest anything, it would be to swap out your Vulcan for a Mazda 6s drivetrain. 220hp + 5 speed would make you Taurus an entirely different car (ie. SHO), BUT it is alot lower maintenance than the Yamaha engine and you wont have a hard time finding the parts needed. While you're swapping engines you might as well fab up some turbo headers and a front mount intercooler too......

B

·
0 Posts
The V6 SHO engine won't fit in a Gen 3 or 4, without a lot of subframe modification. The intake runners sit too high to fit under the hood. Now the V8, that's a totally different story. I'd love to see a Gen 4 V8! It wouldn't be simple, but the easiest way would be to get a complete V8, subframe and all, and swap subframes. Obviously you'd need to get the V8 wiring harness and computer to make it all work, and weld the cams before you install it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Would there be much advantage with the Gen 2 Yamaha over the Gen 4 Duratec? (assuming that you stay with the auto. trans.)

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I like bobs idea for the v8 g4. *rubs chin* time to go find me an sho engine! (3.4 v8 of course)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by CincySES@Mar 5 2004, 12:27 PM
Would there be much advantage with the Gen 2 Yamaha over the Gen 4 Duratec? (assuming that you stay with the auto. trans.)
They do have 20 more horsepower and run about .5 sec faster in the 1/4 mile. (Yamaha that is)

B

·
0 Posts
It's also where the power is made. The Tec is a great engine, and has a very flat torque curve (at least judging by the one dyno graph I've seen). The Yamaha seems to have ample power all over the RPM range, even with an ATX. I'm sure there are things that can be done to the Tec to remedy that though. We'll find out about two of them next weekend. :uptosumpn:

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want I can ask my parts boss how much it would cost to obtain a 3.4 engine, trans, and wiring harness. Dont expect it to be cheap tho. You name it, I can get it, but it will be loot intensive. Want a Cobra motor? No problem. Need a 3.55 rear end for a stang or vic? done deal. Need 3.8 head gaskets and installation kit? Childsplay. In my parts locker, we have about a dozen of the old 3.0 and 3.2 yamaha motors, complete, ready to go. Saw em, touched em, drooled on em. Im sure tehre are a few 3.4's in there too. The holy grail of engines (Lightning 5.4SC) is there too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want I can ask my parts boss how much it would cost to obtain a 3.4 engine, trans, and wiring harness. Dont expect it to be cheap tho. You name it, I can get it, but it will be loot intensive. Want a Cobra motor? No problem. Need a 3.55 rear end for a stang or vic? done deal. Need 3.8 head gaskets and installation kit? Childsplay. In my parts locker, we have about a dozen of the old 3.0 and 3.2 yamaha motors, complete, ready to go. Saw em, touched em, drooled on em. Im sure tehre are a few 3.4's in there too. The holy grail of engines (Lightning 5.4SC) is there too.[/b]
Nah, it is only my dream to do that to my taurus, crusing with a 3.4L v8 in my 2000. Some guy in a honda pulls up next to me, revs his engine. BAM! i floor the sucker and lose him in the dust. Too much money and time to work on it. Also i 've seen a few cheap yamaha 3.0,3.2 and 3.4 L on ebay. Cheap meaning 200-900 range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Me and my friend wanted to do this back in the day when my parents were talking about getting a new tranny from a junkyard. Then my parents decided to just let my car die. It would've been tight to have a Gen 3 with a 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Actually, I think in the archives, there's pics of a Gen3 SHO with a Gen4 front end; the guy that was welding the cams on it was kind enough to post pics
. I think what happened was that it was involved in a front end collision, and the insurance company chose to let him use Gen4 body parts to fix it up. Really nice looking

Might be the next best thing to having a Gen4 SHO-anything

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by karimm33@Mar 6 2004, 07:15 PM
Also i 've seen a few cheap yamaha 3.0,3.2 and 3.4 L on ebay. Cheap meaning 200-900 range.
Even better would be to find a totalled, rear-end damaged 96-99 SHO and buy it out. That way, you'll have access to all the parts you need, and you can see what goes where.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by karimm33@Mar 4 2004, 07:42 PM
i was just wondering what kind of problems someone would run in to and if it would work at all? What kind of modifications would have to be done and would the cost of it all be worth it? thanks...
All I know Is that it is illegal in MA and NH for any used car dealer or dealership to sell a car with an older engine inside of it (unless you buy the car from a private seller of course). Example: If a dealership was trying to sell a used 98 Cobra that had a transplanted 97 engine in it is illegal. Its common sense.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts