Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I believe the Vulcan MAF is 55mm. This is big enough for a stock or lightly modded Vulcan. Unless you're running forced induction or you've rebuilt your whole motor, MAF alone won't do anything for you except make more noise.

Heck, the gen 2 SHO has a 55mm MAF, and most people who have replaced it with a bigger one have only reported an increase in intake noise with no noticable difference in power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok thank you for the info that will save me some money. now what about MSD DIS 4 is it worth the 300+ to get it. not so much for performance but MPG.
or is the stock ingition good enuff?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by grimdemocu@Apr 26 2005, 12:16 PM
ok thank you for the info that will save me some money. now what about MSD DIS 4 is it worth the 300+ to get it. not so much for performance but MPG.
or is the stock ingition good enuff?
Stock ignition is just fine. The MSD ignition won't improve performance or economy on our cars. Just make sure your plugs and wires are in good shape, and spark will never be a shortcoming. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Heres mine.Sound systems that are TOO loud. :(
So loud you can here the bass a mile before the car gets there.
So loud the driver has to keep his windows open to prevent them from blowing out.
So noisy it shakes me out of my bed at 2am. :angry:
so much racket I cannot hear my Tornado fuel saver whistling. :huh:

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
It's kinda late to be making an intake swap. The summer months are coming. Your engine temps are going to be much higher (as high as 180 degrees or more), so all your hp gains will be negated. In the winter, the engine temp will reach near 120 degress or less. It's a pain to be switching your set up all the time to match the weather, unless you like doing it. Stick with your stock set up and cut off the silencer at the base of your airbox and pull the intake set up behind the quarter panel and connect a flex hose and stretch it to the front air dam to bring in fresh air in the airbox & panal filter. If you can find one,there's a special carbon fiber duct that you can get, but the problem with getting this is it's only available through Nascar. I ran into a guy at a hospitality tent at a race in Sonoma a few years ago that said he would sell me one. I had to cut it down to custom fit in my front air dam so that it wouldn't stick out, then I added a mesh gril to cover the the airdam openings to catch the bugs and debris from getting into my filter. Because of this set up, my filter gets extremely dirty and I have to clean it once a month on average, but it's been worth it and I don't mind cleaning it.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
:argue: I started to read this thread and thought it sounded like it would be a very informative piece to help those new to the club get a head start on some mods they might or might not have thought about. After the first page it turned into an argumentative dissertation about speakers. It seems that this thread should really be multiple thread. The reasons I feel this is cause, some of the mods that some people say are worthless are more in the personalization of that persons vehicle. Though to some it might be wasteful or even "Ricer" it shouldn't be said to not be a good idea. Secondly some of the mods are about engine modification for performance upgrading. This is a subject that I feel should have facts and figures as well as general costs to back it up that way it would be more informative and easier for the person to decide on. Though some of the arguments had some facts and figures to back them up, it seems that most were of personal viewpoints not relating to the original thread line title. I am well aware that most will probably pass this off and not give a second thought to it or they could be some of the ones saying, "Who the hell are you to be talking?" but as all goes this is just another opinion. As Bob said
Guys, it's not an argue about worthless stuff thread, it's a thread about someone's OPINION that something is worthless.

Keep in mind, opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, and they usually stink.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just like to add that ANY mod is worthless if the car itself has not been brought up to or close to stock performance, operation, and aesthetics. Fix it before you mod it, people. :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by submariner@Aug 1 2004, 11:30 PM
Ricers KNOW that any good NOS sticker is automatically going to add +5 hp... +7 if there is no actual NOS system installed... but I have th secret... The DoD Sticker... GUARANTEED TO ADD +30 hp TO YOUR RIDE! And guess what? It's cheap! It only costs you 4 years of your free life!

:chili:

hmmm... was that too sarcastic?

(visit your recruiter todayâ„¢)

http://homepage.mac.com/aslater18/tcca/DoD.jpg' alt='' width='800' height='600' class='attach' />[/url] [/b][/quote]
Cool!!!

No wonder my three do so well! And to think I get these free stickers for the rest of my life!

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing on this note I am wondering about is the intake silencer wouldn't removing it increase intake flow since it’s basically a restrictor cone?

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
It increases noise, and that's good enough for me. Intakes sound really nice. But I would be surprised at anything more than a 1-2 hp gain. It's basically nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by jinxsm+Oct 15 2005, 03:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jinxsm @ Oct 15 2005, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-submariner@Aug 1 2004, 11:30 PM
Ricers KNOW that any good NOS sticker is automatically going to add +5 hp... +7 if there is no actual NOS system installed... but I have th secret... The DoD Sticker... GUARANTEED TO ADD +30 hp TO YOUR RIDE! And guess what? It's cheap! It only costs you 4 years of your free life!

:chili:

hmmm... was that too sarcastic?

(visit your recruiter todayâ„¢)

http://homepage.mac.com/aslater18/tcca/DoD.jpg' alt='' width='800' height='600' class='attach' />[/url] [/b][/quote]
Cool!!!

No wonder my three do so well! And to think I get these free stickers for the rest of my life![/b][/quote]
I think I will SCRAPE MY stickers off in a couple of years I have 23 years (24 soon) under my belt and I am just about ready to move on. I guess I will suffer the performance loss since I am a Sillyvillian (Civilian). :chili:

ShueSHO

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
guys, right now im runnin the stock airbox with a k&N filter, with all piping cut off.
it sounds great but im just wondering, what differences are there going to be if i put a pipe down into the fender well? will it kill the sound and the throttle response?

NOW, this is the ultimate stupid question.......

If i take out the stock airbox but leave the airintake head thing with the flat panel filter on just chilling there (maybe a lil duct take to hold the filter on) what would happen? would it funtion like have a cone filter there? or would this even work? im not sure i think ill try it though, im not sure if the filter will stay up, it might swing everywhere... but ill try it.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Taking the lower housing off is going to do nothing. LEAVE IT ON! These intake systems are set up very well. The saxaphone flows almost 500 cfm, much more than your car will use. Taking off the bottom portion is stupid, as your entire intake system will bounce around and move every time you hit a bump. This could throw off your MAF, break it, or even pull the accordion off the throttle body, thus allowing unfiltered and unmetered air in the system.

As for putting a pipe in the fender well, you'll get colder air, but as we've told you 100x already, you won't see ANY difference in hp or torque. The factory setup is already a cold air intake, whether you want to believe us or not. You should see no appreciable difference in throttle response, but the sound of the intake at WOT might change.

JR

·
Registered
79 Posts
honestly, Im kindov bothered by the fact that people continue to say that removing the stock intake piping and other small mods wont do much. When I first got my vulcan I definately wanted more out of it, my dad was the first to drive it. This past weekend for the first time took him out and showed him the difference in power and especially higher RPM speed. Ive done K&N filter in stock airbox, 2.5" exhaust piping into the fender, rotated maf, and replaced the throttle body plate screws with flathead screws.

All of this might sound retarded to some but Ive noticed a definate increase in higher RPM response and throttle response. I destroyed an late 90's mitsubishi eclipse the other day from a rolling start of about 30 Mph. Im not trying to say that my cars a corvet but it can definately move a lot more efficiently.

On hotter days too my car does not have the problem anymore of lack of response and when i press the pedal it goes. Simple enough! But for the most part its maintenance that keeps the car running efficiently.

Any response and feedback would be cool......and, does anybody live near rockville/aspenhill/d.c. maryland area????????

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You might notice a butt dyno increase, but honestly, and this has been backed up many, many times by REAL dyno data, removing the piping does nothing. It does sound better, but as I said in my last post, the saxaphone (resonator) flows almost 500 cfm. That is way more than enough to propel the engines in 99.9% of all Tauruses, including most N/A SHOs.

90% of the mod is 50% mental. It's got a placebo effect, unfortunately. It sounds faster, so your brain thinks that therefore, it must be faster.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Well, Rudy, we all know for a fact that what you just said is total bullshit. The Duratec is much smoother and quieter than the Vulcan, when it is stock (piping intake and stock mufflers). The Vulcan was always bitched about by the car rags because of how noisy it was compared to many other motors.

Stick that in your Vulcan pipe and smoke it.

JR

101 - 120 of 191 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.