Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600+Mar 2 2004, 03:30 PM-->QUOTE (dIESEL600 @ Mar 2 2004, 03:30 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-9824VDOHC
@Mar 2 2004, 03:13 PM
I just bought a "short ram intake". I have noticed some pickup increase, but are you saying that all it does is make the car sound  cool?
That's right. Your original intake took in cooler air from the fender well. Cooler air is more dense, so it contains more oxygen per unit volume. More oxygen lets you burn more fuel, in turn making more power. A short ram intake takes in hot air from the engine compartment. Hot air = less dense = less oxygen = less fuel = less power. [/b]
true, but being a short intake, it will increase throttle response. in that effect, specially while accelerating, the car will feel faster, even if the actual improvement is not all that great. my car did run faster with the hot air intake, not much, but remember even though its pulling in less dense air from the engine, its pulling in much more air that the stock system does, if you take the stock setup apart, look how restrictive it is! there is even a bottle neck where the pipe is crimped as it goes through the fender wall. in addition to this, while the car is moving at high way speed, or even less, there is more than enough cool air for the filter, its flowing right in the front of the car. CAI is definitly the way to go, but I stand by the short ram intake as improving performance, just not very much. my fav part about it was the sound. sound definitly improves much more than performance does. but its not competely worthless

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris+Jan 17 2004, 05:28 PM-->QUOTE (Patrick Norris @ Jan 17 2004, 05:28 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-sfblacksel
@Jan 17 2004, 05:10 PM
Actually Doc, those are hydraulic operated wheelie bars and the put a majority of the cars weight on the front wheels.  So, yes they do help with traction.  In my opinion, if you are going to go that far, why not just do the front wheel drive to rear wheel drive conversion.  I mean it is like making a full on race car out of a street car and it doesn't make since.  There has to be a limit somewhere along the line.

My fire extinguisher is in the trunk so it is out of the way, especially in an accident.  And no it isn't chrome
.  I like to draw attention to my performance mods, not my safety mods.  Dude check out my chromed antilock brake sylinoid.
Those kind of wheelie bars are not legal by any sanction body I have looked at. The standard is that all wheelie bars have to be off the ground with no way of having them contact the ground without lifting to front suspension to prevent people from using then to stop weight transfer.

So that makes wheelies on a FWD a useless mod. [/b]
Since when is Street racing Sanctioned ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the real drag racing world, FWD cars do have traction (wheelie) bars out the back of the car. The are used as a way to unload the rear suspension after the car squats on takeoff. FWD suspension information. They are used and they are VERY legal.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by madness_spirit@Jun 1 2004, 03:21 PM
Another worthless mod some people on here fall prey to. Replacing their resonator with a cheap glass pack they find at a parts store. A stock resonator is just a glass pack anyways, the best you can hope to do is change the sound of it, never gonna increase flow
On top of that a lot of the time a cheap glass pack will rust out faster then a stock resonator (don't know why but they tend to).

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by madness_spirit@Jun 1 2004, 03:21 PM
Another worthless mod some people on here fall prey to. Replacing their resonator with a cheap glass pack they find at a parts store. A stock resonator is just a glass pack anyways, the best you can hope to do is change the sound of it, never gonna increase flow
the only point of doing anything with the resonator is to change sound, it doesn't impede flow at all anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ricers KNOW that any good NOS sticker is automatically going to add +5 hp... +7 if there is no actual NOS system installed... but I have th secret... The DoD Sticker... GUARANTEED TO ADD +30 hp TO YOUR RIDE! And guess what? It's cheap! It only costs you 4 years of your free life!

:chili:

hmmm... was that too sarcastic?

(visit your recruiter todayâ„¢)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by submariner@Aug 1 2004, 11:30 PM
Ricers KNOW that any good NOS sticker is automatically going to add +5 hp... +7 if there is no actual NOS system installed... but I have th secret... The DoD Sticker... GUARANTEED TO ADD +30 hp TO YOUR RIDE! And guess what? It's cheap! It only costs you 4 years of your free life!

:chili:

hmmm... was that too sarcastic?

(visit your recruiter todayâ„¢)
Woo hoo! I guess i qualify for that additional 30hp then :banana:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by stpidhoser@Aug 2 2004, 09:42 AM
I know this doesn't really apply to this thread, but could there be a list of "cheap" modifications that acutally work? That would be a good thread to have handy. Like "Mods under $20"
You can try suggesting it to one of the admins or a mod. They might make a thread and pin it in.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by submariner+Aug 2 2004, 10:21 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (submariner @ Aug 2 2004, 10:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Aug 2 2004, 07:54 AM
HAHAHAHA! 

What boat (sub) are you on submariner???

JR
I will be reporting to the USS Kentucky (blue) SSBN 737 in October [/b][/quote]
Just keep in mind that submariners get the best chow in all the branches of the service and all the specialties. I'm told it is supposed to make up for the lack of sunlight for such long periods of time. Never having done that before i don't know how much of a consolation that is, but it's got to beat the hell out of Army chow. ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by HighTecRedneck+Aug 2 2004, 08:36 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HighTecRedneck @ Aug 2 2004, 08:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 10:21 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32
@Aug 2 2004, 07:54 AM
HAHAHAHA! 

What boat (sub) are you on submariner???

JR

I will be reporting to the USS Kentucky (blue) SSBN 737 in October
Just keep in mind that submariners get the best chow in all the branches of the service and all the specialties. I'm told it is supposed to make up for the lack of sunlight for such long periods of time. Never having done that before i don't know how much of a consolation that is, but it's got to beat the hell out of Army chow. ;) [/b][/quote]
It's the truth... as far as the on-base galley goes, We've recieved the Ney Award 5 years running now. (Ney Award is the award given to the US Navy/Marine Corps best quality land-based galley worldwide... above and beyond the 5-star rating)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
That's awesome that you're on an Ohio class SSBN. I've been on a few SSNs (USS Los Angeles, and a couple others) but never an SSBN (probably for good reason). I have seen one in dry dock and the only thing that comes to mind is truely massive...until you see it next to the aircraft carrier that's parked right alongside. It was cool to look off the deck of the USS George Washington while it was in refit at Norfolk and see a SSBN completely out of water (don't recall the hull number).

JR

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hmm.... something else. Hmm....

Neon Exhust Tips! "some guy at my work asked me if this would increase horsepower." I then slapped the guy, he has yet to return..lol

The Tornado: Really useless when you think about it. Abstructs more air then it is to compress. POS!

and.... hmm, let me see what else my work sells....

thats it for now.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
190 Replies
103 Participants
madscientist
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing