Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I am a high school senior looking out to the future seniors (kinda :p ). Now if you have the option of taking the ACP/AP course of calculus your senior year, I strongly recommend you do not take it, unless you love the idea of mental torture.

I just finished the ACP course and let me tell you this, I was happy it was finally over. That class sent me into depression. I finished off with a B- in the class, and I am a consistent A+ student.

The final, which was last week, was the worst. I took the Indiana University final, as I am an Indiana resident and IU sponsors the damned thing!!! Up until the day I found out my final grade, today, I was having nightmares over the final and just the class in general. My friends were also raped by that class.

If you want to take a deadly class that will result in (self-quote) "class genocide," go ahead, but I warn you. It is brutal and far worse than any other class that I have taken in my life, and I have had the most boring teachers ever, and I used to go to a Catholic school.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
QUOTE (rambuck @ Mar 2 2009, 08:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704773
Ok. I am a high school senior looking out to the future seniors (kinda :p ). Now if you have the option of taking the ACP/AP course of calculus your senior year, I strongly recommend you do not take it, unless you love the idea of mental torture.

I just finished the ACP course and let me tell you this, I was happy it was finally over. That class sent me into depression. I finished off with a B- in the class, and I am a consistent A+ student.

The final, which was last week, was the worst. I took the Indiana University final, as I am an Indiana resident and IU sponsors the damned thing!!! Up until the day I found out my final grade, today, I was having nightmares over the final and just the class in general. My friends were also raped by that class.

If you want to take a deadly class that will result in (self-quote) "class genocide," go ahead, but I warn you. It is brutal and far worse than any other class that I have taken in my life, and I have had the most boring teachers ever, and I used to go to a Catholic school.[/b]
You have no idea what's still to come.

It only gets worse...

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
AP Calc was a joke, and I took it at one of the best high schools in the nation.

Now, try Multivariable Calculus Advanced your freshman year....that's a treat :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (soccernamlak @ Mar 2 2009, 10:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704800
AP Calc was a joke, and I took it at one of the best high schools in the nation.

Now, try Multivariable Calculus Advanced your freshman year....that's a treat :)[/b]
Yeah, I didn't have the best teacher, but she was pretty good.

Yeah, I am not looking forward to more of calculus in college, especially when I am going to Rose-Hulman next year. :p

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
That's only the start!!

Then don't forget the grad classes.

And the old saying:
If you think your teacher's tough, wait until you meet your boss when you get that job after you graduate!! :lol2:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You'll love college...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
haha math's is not my strong point. I took up to ap calculus and I was done.........

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
As oxymoronish as it sounds, my least favorite class was also the one I miss the most.

I had an awful instructor but I loved the material and I made so many new friends... I miss those days :(

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I took AP calc in high school. Didn't pass the AP exam even though I passed the class with an A. Ended up taking Calc 1/2 again in college. What a waste of time. The only reason not to take AP calc in high school is if the community college offers calc 1/2, do that so you get the actual transferrable college credit instead.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Im great at math, i just dont do homework there for in my highschool it went like this

Math 1R - freshman
Math 2R - sophmore
Math 3 (not even 3R, dropped down a lvl, R stands for NYS Regents level) - Junior
Nothing - Senior

I was pullin C's and D's just cuz I got A's on test, but never turned homeworks in

then I get to college, take a simester of calc, got a B+ in the class, so i was fairly happy with that score.

With my experience in 2 years of undergrad school, so far college has been easier then high school oO

Then again, in 2 years ive mabye had 1 homework assignment due a week in each class, whereas in highschool I had 3 or 4 due each week in each class, and homework is my weak point, so that probally has somthing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have a math minor; Calc 1 is NOTHING compared to Calc 3, 4, and DiffEQ.

QUOTE (duraSEL @ Mar 2 2009, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704812
And the old saying:
If you think your teacher's tough, wait until you meet your boss when you get that job after you graduate!! :lol2:[/b]
My current boss IS my former professor.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
im never going to take calc 2, 3, 4 or diff eq, and im a Computer Information Systems major, lmao

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I almost flunked College Algebra...

Now the fact that the instructor didn't speak English may have played a part in that but the next semester I also barely passed Finite Math & Intro to Calculus...

Math raped my GPA. If it weren't for math-related courses I might be within spitting distance of a 3.0.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (Stocker @ Mar 3 2009, 12:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704984
I almost flunked College Algebra...

Now the fact that the instructor didn't speak English may have played a part in that but the next semester I also barely passed Finite Math & Intro to Calculus...

Math raped my GPA. If it weren't for math-related courses I might be within spitting distance of a 3.0.[/b]
replace everything you said about math with ****** gen ed's such as anthroplogy n **** i gotta take, and were the same! lol

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (Millermagic @ Mar 3 2009, 09:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704973
QUOTE (duraSEL @ Mar 2 2009, 10:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704812
That's only the start!!

Then don't forget the grad classes.[/b]
A bit off topic ... but I'll be honest. I can't deal another DAY in academia but I'll manage two more semesters. Grad school just doesn't do it for me.
[/b][/quote]

Same here. I want to go work in the field for a little bit before even thinking about grad school.

QUOTE (Stocker @ Mar 3 2009, 09:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704984
Now the fact that the instructor didn't speak English may have played a part...[/b]

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Hey Qwertz, does Computer Science go into the negatives on that graph? I think i'm actually forgetting how to pronounce some english words after 5 years of university.

I always enjoyed highschool math. Calc, Algebra and Finite were all pretty simple for me. But the easiest math by far is the Discrete math for Computer Science. It's all graph theory and crap like that. Other than induction, it's a cakewalk.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Lol, I'm actually CS and only the TAs have bad English (the profs are from middle and eastern Europe so they're somewhat used to English although I disapprove of their teaching style). Discrete math is my least hated math class because I actually understood it! Proof by induction is the smartest thing ever. I was so proud of myself by the end of that semester.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts