Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So the issue with my '13 Taurus is that from time to time, I get this sound that sounds a lot like a woodpecker "pecking" on wood. The worst part of this noise is that it happens entirely randomly, and as far as I can tell, it only happens at low speeds (25MPH and under). It happens when I'm making a turn such as at an intersection or if I'm going straight. I can't seem to easily replicate the noise.

The sound seems to emanate from the front floorboard area or lower dash area, but I'm unsure of the exact location. I'd say it would a blend door actuator, but my experiences with one of those failing is that they do one of two things: make a clicking noise that is non-stop or fail silently and be stuck on a specific vent position. Neither of these fit my experiences with a failed / failing blend door actuator, so I'm not sure....

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, how was it resolved? If not, what are some things I can look at to try and start figuring this out?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think so, @sheila? My research on the current gen BDA that Ford (2009 - Current) uses is known as a "silent" failure, where they just fail without any sort of warning and get stuck in a specific position. The video below (IDK how to embed it, sorry), basically summarizes what I've found on the current gen BDA.

https://youtu.be/sQ2afrTj1xY

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
I don't have anything to compare to. On my '12/'13 Impalas, when 1 of the 4 fails, it clicks/thumps like the old days, lol! With dual zone hvac, there's a temp, recirc and mode (vent) actuator on the pass. side and a lh temp bda on the drivers side. 3 are the same part# with the mode (vent) being different.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, the BDA on my Thunderbird did what your Impalas do; click and thumps! Furthermore, the BDA on my Thunderbird had air coming out of the vents and not the Defrost vents. I had to pull out the entire dash to get to that heffer! My work van, '13 E-150, recently had it's BDA fail as well, and it did the "silent fail" thing I mentioned above. But with the silent fail, it had the air come out from the defrost vent. Glad it's a company vehicle and had vehicle services take care of that problem instead of me, lol.

Anyway, if nobody else has any other suggestions regarding what this woodpecker "peckering" noise is all about, I'll ask my Ford service agent what they thing about it when I take it in next time for the oil change (the only thing I don't like to do, lol).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess this could be it, but I hesitate because the noise described in the TSB isn't quite like what I've described. Thinking about it, the noise has happened during acceleration, but not during turns or R-D and D-R shifts.

I guess I can order the parts and do the job myself (car is out of warranty now) and if the issue continues, then I can rule out this issue from ever happening again, lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Woodpeckering

My car did/does this too. I noticed it at low speed, turning left. I haven't noticed it though since I moved my car back to the states. I thought it sounded a lot like a .50 cal machine gun though and not a woodpecker. A just attributed it to slow speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts