Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Chicago. And I'm sure everyone has heard about the weather as of recently. I tried starting my car today and it would crank and try to start including the revving sounds but wont stay. The battery and alternator are less than a year old and the starter is fine too. I have a half tank of gas also. Could it be because it's like -10 with windchill? I do work tomorrow morning....but the weather is starting to warm up. Could it be the cold?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Any Taurus should start, even at -40. This is an indication of a problem that has been aggravated by the cold. Try putting alcohol in the fuel tank: look it up on google for what type and how much. If all fails; try washing the engine with gasoline and dry it with a match.

·
Registered
716 Posts
And realize he is joking about the gasoline and a match! LOL

If you have a heating pad, like you would use for sore muscles, I have heard that laying it across the top of the engine for an hour or so, can warm up the sensors, and other items, that might be causing the problem.

Have you tried pressing down on the gas, just a little bit, to see if that helps?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I tried giving it some gas. It still wants to start but its not staying. As it's getting warmer its catching more but still not enough...I am overdue for an oil change. Could it be as simple as that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or should I walk to the gas station and pick up HEET and put it in the gas tank? I know you are supposed to do it when you fill up...but.....btw. I cant do the heating blanket trick as it's an outdoor car....it does not live in a garage

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am overdue for an oil change. Could it be as simple as that?
Actually yes, as oil ages, it loses it's cold start capabilities. Also, minus 40 is 0w territory rather than 5w. So if you've got old 5w20, especially not a full synthetic, and it's minus 40, then you're pushing it.

For your climate, I would recommend using M1 EP 0w20.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I work a 10 hr tomorrow. I should be able to squeeze an oil change in on Saturday. This could also be the reason why my initial idle is higher than usual. Even though no lights have come on...

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
My opinion is an oil change is not going to help you and 0W-20 is not a good choice of oil. As temps drop and oil thickens it becomes more difficult to crank the engine but that isn't your issue. Your issue is it cranks and fires but does not stay running. I few shots of starting fluid in the throttle body could help before you try to start it.

When was the last time you installed new plugs or checked the gap on the old ones?

You should also have a charger on the battery to make sure the fuel pump is getting the correct voltage when starting. My thoughts on dry gas is it can't hurt but gas these days contain 10 percent ethanol which is the main water absorbing ingredient in dry gas.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
^^^^^^ Agree 100% with everything Automender said!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did get it started today although it did fight me on it. I had to "rev" it like 10 times before it stayed on. I did do the fuel pump test to make sure its firing and it was fine. I checked everything (with my mechanic) when I replaced my front CV joints and bellows in September.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts