Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a new member and have a problem with my 2005 Taurus SEL with the Vulcan Engine and Auto Trans. The engine turns over but won't start initially and the gauges are bouncing at the 0 level, Gas, Speedo, Tach, Temp and Fuel Gauges. Once the gauges stop bouncing and the fuel and temp gauge return to their proper position the car will start. The engine is harder to start and it takes longer for the gauges to stop bouncing after the engine has been running and at normal running temp. The dealership has changed the Smart Function Box (Fuse panel and wiring harness box) and I also had the camshaft syncro. gear changed. I am still having this problem and the dealership can't figure it out.
Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Were you able to get it diagnosed and resolved ?
Please help if you can and thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^+1.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
One Thought

Hello. I am a new member and have a problem with my 2005 Taurus SEL with the Vulcan Engine and Auto Trans. The engine turns over but won't start initially and the gauges are bouncing at the 0 level, Gas, Speedo, Tach, Temp and Fuel Gauges. Once the gauges stop bouncing and the fuel and temp gauge return to their proper position the car will start. The engine is harder to start and it takes longer for the gauges to stop bouncing after the engine has been running and at normal running temp. The dealership has changed the Smart Function Box (Fuse panel and wiring harness box) and I also had the camshaft syncro. gear changed. I am still having this problem and the dealership can't figure it out.
Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Were you able to get it diagnosed and resolved ?
Consider ignition switch.

Head a similar thing with a Dodge Intrepid. It was the ign switch. However he just thought it was out of gas when it did not start and the gage showed "E". In desperation he tried a gain and then half a tank and it started.

Not out of the question.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
I agree with checking the battery and also checking the batt cables (both ends of each one) for corrosion, etc. G4s definately do not like low crank voltage and do all kinds of weird things if crank voltage drops too low.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Volts Drop TEST

I agree with checking the battery and also checking the batt cables (both ends of each one) for corrosion, etc. G4s definately do not like low crank voltage and do all kinds of weird things if crank voltage drops too low.
Might I add a writeup I did years ago. I try to do this as maintenance each Fall on my cars.

You need a digital Voltmeter with pointed probes. Use a MV range 200 to 500, you do not need a high-end meter, cheap one is OK. Turn key on, but not start, headlights on high, blower on high. This loads the battery cables up to a high load. Measure voltage from pos battery post to other end of cable, which will likely be the bolt in the fuse box. This bridges from post to screw to see if anywhere along the line there is a weakness. Do the same for ground post to engine block, and also to the body. Should be 100 millivolts or less and steady. Now, you might logically think that there would be little loss to the engine block as it is not under any serious load and the big ground cable. But, there is a secondary ground strap from the body to the engine near the firewall so the load is split between the two ground cables from the battery. Key is, 100mv or less and steady.
Now, turn the lights and blower off. Start the engine. Alternator should be charging hard as you have used up some of the battery topoff voltage. Measure from the ground post of the battery to the alternator housing. You are checking the ground from that to the engine block and more. Again 100 MV or less. If your alternator is accessible, measure from the big screw, output of the alternator to the positive battery post. This checks the integrity of the large wire from the alternator to the battery. In this case 200mv or less.

-chart-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever solve this problem? I am having same thing on 05 Taurus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts