Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inlaws 95 Taurus, 3.8, is having idle problems. Sometimes it will idle ok, then the next thing it won't idle at all, if I keep my foot on the accelerator to keep the rpm's just
above idle it's ok, but as soon as I let of the accelerator it stalls. I have installed a new fuel filter, IAC and cleaned the throttle body by spraying throttle body cleaner . There hasn't been a CEL
It runs good other than the intermittent idle problem. I would appreciate any help with this, thanks!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds like classic IAC problems, but you've already replaced that.

Some other things I'd check:

Vacuum leaks

EGR valve stuck open

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Bob! Appreciate it.
Finally gave in and took the car to a local garage, they checked it out and it showed a bunch of codes, 18 in all, most of them transmision codes. One of the codes was 587, unable to comunicate with VCRM. So they changed the variable control relay modual, the black box under the fan shroud and on top of the radiator.
Now no more codes and seems to idle and run good so far. Hope this cures the problem.

Does this sound right to anyone else? Would a bad VCRM cause intermittent idle problems? Thanks!

B

·
0 Posts
I'm almost positive that it's a CCRM, Constant Control Relay Module. In short, that black box controls a lot of things, and communicates with the PCM (computer). A bad CCRM can cause a host of problems, such as the idling you described. Sounds like you have a good shop, it usually takes a while for most to find this problem! :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Bob!! Yes they seem to be a good shop, it is a small father and son operation. They are willing to work with people and not charge a arm and leg. Such as the CCRM, they used a CCRM from a junk yard (with matching part numbers).
For the diagnostic and the used CCRM they only charged $50.00, I think that is very reasonable! :banana:

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 95GL@Oct 15 2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks again Bob!! Yes they seem to be a good shop, it is a small father and son operation. They are willing to work with people and not charge a arm and leg. Such as the CCRM, they used a CCRM from a junk yard (with matching part numbers).
For the diagnostic and the used CCRM they only charged $50.00, I think that is very reasonable! :banana:
That's very reasonable, considering most places charge a flat fee to diagnose the check engine light. Be good to those guys, they seem to take excellent care of their customers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts