Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Flex fuel, 60k miles

I rode in my daughter's car while visiting her. It wobbled a lot sideways at low speeds up to 30-40 mph. Once it reached 50+ mph, I couldn't feel the wobbling.

She said she took the car to a mechanic earlier. She was told camber was slightly out of spec but not too bad. She also got wheel alignment.

1) Can camber cause wobbling sideways?
2) She once hit a curb hard and ruptured the tire. I suspect the impact bent the aluminum wheel. Likely cause? what doesn't make sense is that the tech mounted the tire and balanced the wheel.
3) Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^ +1 Has she hit any curbs?

I had this happen once and couldnt find any wheel / suspension damage. Turned out to be a belt shifted in a tire.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Is the wobble transfering into the steering wheel as you drive? What about the brakes? Does it change with engine rpm or transmission shifts? Bent rim seems possible, but the wobble wouldn't go away at a higher speed I would think. There's probably play in the front suspension? Get the tires off and inspect every component for wear and play, there's lots of stuff that can cause a wheel vibration. If you really think it might be a bent rim, toss the donut on from the trunk and see if it changes. Any steering play otherwise?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The car is in hard service, on unpaved road, over pebbles and small rocks, etc. She had 4 punctured tires in 2 years. Her coworkers experience same frequency of tire punctures. I will tell her to have the front suspension/steering checked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wobble wheels

Hi
reading all the wobble wheels storys
car wobble at low speed is almost always caused by a tire with a distorted steel belt-out of round tire and or a bent wheel
the wobble is more pronounced at low speed and when going fast it will decrease..
this usually means not much is wrong with the front end-tire shop can diagnose quickly

·
Registered
223 Posts
+1 to tiredoldtrucker. Happened to my moms explorer... she hits curbs too. Had it aligned, balanced, and anything you can think of till finally she had a flat and i put the spare on it went away. Hers is worse you notice it from 50-70 then it goes away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.