Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Taurus SEL with the 24V DOHC seems to cause a problem maybe with the struts. The noise is like that of opening an old heavy than needs to be oiled. The sound is like those old radio mystery programs. This noise is not here during the morning drive to work. However, after a high temperature day, this noise begins on the way home and disappears in the morning.

Our mechanic drove and placed the car on the rack and after his inspection, the only conclusion that he offered was that this occurred within the struts due to the heavier motor and high temperature. As best as I recall he stated that the strut has two metal plates with a rubber material between them and adding 25 miles of driving, the weight of the motor, and the high Florida summer temperature, that the rubber material stretched to where the metal plates touch each other and this makes the noise when turning the wheel. The stretched material cools during the night and would cause this same thing to happen again based on the above factors. This does not occur during short drives during the day.

This 2001 model has only 35,000 miles. The original owner obviously did not drive it often or use it for many short or long trips. It sat outdoors in the Florida sun. Ball joints had rusted and needed to replaced along with all of the motor fluids.

This is my first only Ford vehicle and I am not familiar with what a Ford should sound like………..so I am asking is…………. did this mechanic provide me with a reasonable explanation, do I take it to another Ford dealer, or finally is this noise something all together different?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this item a highly unusual or rare and nobody has had this a single instance which would make this unique?

Or was my explanation not understood and therefore those that read it, could not discern this issue?

What was explained does happen on a regular basis and one would guess that someone else would have had it happen to them................your thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'd have to say he gave a reasonable explanation. I have never had it happen on any of my vehicles. I had a friends Jeep though, once we replaced the shock bushings a similar sound (to which you're describing) disappeared. It was due to the loading and unloading of the shock due to the differentiation of the axle position thanks to a faulty trackbar mount. (which isn't on a Taurus.)

But I would have to say it has something to do with the suspension. If you could get a video of it it maybe easier for us to help out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply but could you add some more information regarding the Jeep’s occurrence. Our Taurus normally does not have this issue unless the drive is longer than 25 miles, it has been in the heat for eight hours, that’s Florida Summer HEAT, and is on the 2nd lap on the return home. It does not happen on shorter trips during this period, also does not happen in the morning on the way to the same 25-mile location. This noise does not happen if the auto sits almost all day in the sun and a short trip is taken.

Is the Jeep’s issue under the same circumstances? Or does the Jeep’s noise happen all the time?

Since this is a binding sort of sound, like the opening of a old heavy door, what type of video would be helpful?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks for the reply but could you add some more information regarding the Jeep’s occurrence. Our Taurus normally does not have this issue unless the drive is longer than 25 miles, it has been in the heat for eight hours, that’s Florida Summer HEAT, and is on the 2nd lap on the return home. It does not happen on shorter trips during this period, also does not happen in the morning on the way to the same 25-mile location. This noise does not happen if the auto sits almost all day in the sun and a short trip is taken.

Is the Jeep’s issue under the same circumstances? Or does the Jeep’s noise happen all the time?

Since this is a binding sort of sound, like the opening of a old heavy door, what type of video would be helpful?
It only happens once its been driven around in the hot weather (talking 102-106 with a 120 heat index.)

As for the video, heat up the vehicle to where its making the sound, and if you can replicate it while standing still, record the sound where its most audible, say outside the car next to the suspect wheel.

This could be another thing such as a faulty PS pump or steering rack groan.

Do you have any Ford mechanics you can take it to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can only hear that noise when you turn the wheel in either direction and you are inside the car. The noise is not audible from the outside. Unfortunately, when I took it to the mechanic, and drove it with him, that sound, of course, did not occur. It happens on the way home from work and when hear the sound, the service area is closed

Prior to the replacement of the Jeep’s shock bushings, was the noise only heard on the inside like this or was it heard on the outside?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
You can only hear that noise when you turn the wheel in either direction and you are inside the car. The noise is not audible from the outside. Unfortunately, when I took it to the mechanic, and drove it with him, that sound, of course, did not occur. It happens on the way home from work and when hear the sound, the service area is closed

Prior to the replacement of the Jeep’s shock bushings, was the noise only heard on the inside like this or was it heard on the outside?
Sound was both inside and outside.

I'm gonna think that this maybe your steering shaft boot on the firewall if you can only hear it inside.

MY jeep used to do this. It would only do it though when I turned the wheel really fast and a far direction, like when parking or backing up.

Check to see if your boot is worn, maybe hit the contact area with some WD-40 or some lithium grease.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip……………not sure where that boot is but will advise the mechanic to look. My guess, based on what you wrote, is that may not be the issue since when the noise begins it happens while you are driving on the road and need to turn the wheel in any direction just to change lanes.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks for the tip……………not sure where that boot is but will advise the mechanic to look. My guess, based on what you wrote, is that may not be the issue since when the noise begins it happens while you are driving on the road and need to turn the wheel in any direction just to change lanes.

It might be what your mechanic said. When was the last time you had suspension work? After about 60K you should consider replacing the shocks/struts and bushings in addition to checking to see if the suspension is in spec. IE No wobbles, loose parts...etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It goes rattle rattle over any bumpy road just as one would expect from the Ford or Chev lines to which the mechanic did mention that those are normal and expect noises. The auto has less than 36,000 actual miles. So it looks as if “it is what it is” and is not a problem until it becomes one. I just wanted to find out if this noise was something that we missed and required immediate attention at the shop. It seems that the conclusion is that it should be dealt with when something does need attention. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The noise that sounds like it needs oiled and only happens when it gets hot is you ball joints (probably lower). My 2000 Sable did it at about 40,000. It had spent most of its life in Florida. The rubber boots that are supposed to keep the lubricant in the joint deteriorate and the joint begins to fail. It will get worse and you will be able to hear it by pushing down on the fender. The rattling sounds are your sway bar links. Same problem with them. Try going around a curve on a bumpy road, the rattling will probably stop because the links will be loaded up and not able to rattle. It is hard to make them rattle unless you are driving on a bumpy road because force is off of them only at certain positions of the wheel. If you are somewhat mechanical you can probably do the sway bar links yourself ($20 to $40 each depending on which ones you get). The ball joints need special tools and you will probably need an alignment so you might consider having those done by a mechanic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts