Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this should be the proper section for my post.
I need help, I'm trying to help my friend get his taurus backe on the road.
He had it parked while some critter messed up his wiring, one thing that was obvious was the sparkplug wires, DOHC by the way, with coilpacks on top of the plug, I took care of that jumped it engine ran very well, later we got a new batery and took it for a test drive.
First thing I noticed the batery light was on, although it cranks fine, then it was not shifting, then it went into limp mode a light came on looks like a gear with an exclamation sign inside, then I noticed the spedo was not working, I pulled the codes got p0720, output shaft speed sensor circuit, so now I have a hint where to start, I'm sure there's more wiring to fix, probl causing a short, maybe even the batery light to come on.
Question is where is this sensor located, how does it look like, any pics avail?

thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It's the VSS. Located on the top of the passenger end of the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's behind the engine is't it?
what's the best way to get to it, do I need to disasemble the intake, or get it from underneeth?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Probably from underneath, or maybe remove the wiper cowl. First off, just thoroughly inspect all the wiring you can find from above and below. You may find the spot that was chewed thru without having to actually get to the sensor itself. If the critter ate thru a main harness, that could be causing both issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts