Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install an AUX input into the wiring from the stock CD head unit on a 2004 SE.

I noticed a set of 4 wires that have foil shielding on them - are these the line level signal wires leading out of the head unit?

I have searched for hours and cannot find a diagram for the wires coming out of the head unit, leading to the amp in the trunk. (Plenty available of the wires coming OUT of the amp).

My intention is to tap into the head unit output and install and headphone jack which will interrupt the signal from the head unit and replace it with whatever is plugged into the headphone jack. I saw a write-up where someone did it with a cassette head unit but the wire colors don't match up.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I am trying to install an AUX input into the wiring from the stock CD head unit on a 2004 SE.

I noticed a set of 4 wires that have foil shielding on them - are these the line level signal wires leading out of the head unit?

I have searched for hours and cannot find a diagram for the wires coming out of the head unit, leading to the amp in the trunk. (Plenty available of the wires coming OUT of the amp).

My intention is to tap into the head unit output and install and headphone jack which will interrupt the signal from the head unit and replace it with whatever is plugged into the headphone jack. I saw a write-up where someone did it with a cassette head unit but the wire colors don't match up.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
You can find the wiring diagram here:
Radio Diagram

It says cassette, but if you have a CD player the wire colors are the same. The only thing with doing it this way is that you have to have a CD playing in the ICP for it to work. Just twist the negatives together for the ground signal from your aux source.

Remember though, you will lose the audio from your factory CD player. You could install some sort of switch to keep you CD player functional, but keep in mind that it is a differential audio signal so both the + and - need to be switched. Also, you would need to install diodes before the splice of the negatives for the single ground of your aux input to prevent crosstalk.

You might want to consider this instead:
PIE FRDR-AUX

This will allow you to use the CD Changer inputs and keep your CD player in the dash. It's a quality product. Mine's been going for 3 years, and that's in the trunk 110 degree Texas summers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

thanks much for this info, I much appreciate.

I will weigh the options but I like the elegance of tapping in with a jack - it takes advantage of the head unit / amp layout of the system - and it's CHEAP!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, how do I go about installing "diodes before the splice of the negatives for the single ground of your aux input"? I'm an electronics newby (I can wire a stereo but that's about all). I don't even know where to start when it comes to diodes. is this something I can buy at radio shack and just solder in-line? What diodes should I use?

Thanks!

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
BTW, how do I go about installing "diodes before the splice of the negatives for the single ground of your aux input"? I'm an electronics newby (I can wire a stereo but that's about all). I don't even know where to start when it comes to diodes. is this something I can buy at radio shack and just solder in-line? What diodes should I use?

Thanks!
After looking closer at the schematics there is actually a much easier way to do this. Cut the left and right positive wires from the CD player and run the ends going to the RCU to the center prongs of a DPDT (Double Pole/Double Throw) switch. Run the positive outputs from the CD player one of the other two remaining sets. Run the positive outputs from your aux input jack to the last remaining set. Run the ground from your aux jack to the ground going from the ICP to the RCU. You will still have to have a CD playing to use the aux jack, but the switch will allow you to switch between them.

Rat Shack also has 3.5mm jacks that have a DPDT switch built in, though they may have to order them. This would allow the input to switch automatically when you insert the aux cable into the jack.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
After looking closer at the schematics there is actually a much easier way to do this. Cut the left and right positive wires from the CD player and run the ends going to the RCU to the center prongs of a DPDT (Double Pole/Double Throw) switch. Run the positive outputs from the CD player one of the other two remaining sets. Run the positive outputs from your aux input jack to the last remaining set. Run the ground from your aux jack to the ground going from the ICP to the RCU. You will still have to have a CD playing to use the aux jack, but the switch will allow you to switch between them.

Rat Shack also has 3.5mm jacks that have a DPDT switch built in, though they may have to order them. This would allow the input to switch automatically when you insert the aux cable into the jack.
Got a part number on that? You've just created a project.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is there any way to bypass the internal sensor that "sees" either the CD or the cassette (inside the ICP right at the switch, not in the communication lines)? In theory, wiring it into the same DPDT (or, in this case 3PDT) switch? The idea is to be able to just plug in and not worry about what else is (or isn't) in the player.

Any "pop" associated with the switching? Any need for a capacitor on the contacts?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Got a part number on that? You've just created a project.
I've used them before on custom amp projects, but I can't find them now at Rat Shack or any of my other go-to parts suppliers. :(

Is there any way to bypass the internal sensor that "sees" either the CD or the cassette (inside the ICP right at the switch, not in the communication lines)? In theory, wiring it into the same DPDT (or, in this case 3PDT) switch? The idea is to be able to just plug in and not worry about what else is (or isn't) in the player.

Any "pop" associated with the switching? Any need for a capacitor on the contacts?
I have a cassette ICP apart right now and it looks fairly simple to trigger. There's a switch for when then cassette is inserted. I'm guessing it just grounds out, but I'd have to test it to be sure and to make sure that there are no other issues. I have no idea if the CD ICP uses a mechanical or digital trigger, but I can find out.

As for "pop", it is always good practice to use decoupling capacitors on audio lines between sub-systems to prevent any stray DC voltage from coming through. You would want to use them on both inputs as well as the outputs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like a new mod for the occasional AUX user who doesn't require the full-time AUX (PIE, etc.).

Coming soon:

madscientists Taurus/Sable Stereo Shop!
We can make your factory system sing and dance to any tune with any partner! :D

(All in fun, no offense intended. I'm so looking forward to your developments!)

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
The tape icp will kick out of tape mode if it doesn't "hear" the tape.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. What I'm curious of is if we tap into the signal straight off of the head if the signal from the aux source will keep it engaged.
Yeah, tap it rather than cut it. Could work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts