Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have a 2004 Taurus that i am doing a JBL RCU swap on.
i need a wiring diagram that will give me some idea of how to hook this up in my car.

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello i have a 2004 Taurus that i am doing a JBL RCU swap on.
i need a wiring diagram that will give me some idea of how to hook this up in my car.

Thanks
I did this in a 2000 Taurus. No diagrams required, everything is pug-n-play.
The same connectors that are already present in your vehicle plug into the JBL RCU. Each connector is unique and will only connect to the correct mating connector. The Sub bolts into the pre-existing 6X9 cutout in your rear deck. The sub amp is mounted to the speaker from the factory. Run the included harness to the mating connector on the RCU.

If you are so inclined, there is an upgrade to the JBL amplifier chips/modules that increases the output power by replacing those modules. There is some soldering involved (and perhaps replacing some capacitors), but the upgrade should provide a bit more sound quality to your system.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that sounds a lot easier than i thought it would be then.
Well i have already did some modding to the sound system on this car
i put in a 240 watt amplifier and a PAC aux-box.
I wasn't planing using the stock amp and sub combo. i had something else in mind that was one of the reasons why i was looking for a wiring diagram. but if i can't find one i should still be able to get everything to work right.
would you have some photos of the install that you did that you can show?

Thanks for your response

·
Registered
150 Posts
This thread has the photos of another owner's installation. The topic finder appears to be "broken" as I can't get to the page with the RCU pin-outs. There is a topic that covers the pin-outs, I used it when I wired my power antenna.

If you intend to use the sub-out x-over from the JBL RCU with an after-market amp, you might check out the link in my previous post. There was some discussion about how you could use the stock (or JBL) RCU, bypass the amplifier hybrid chips, and use amplifiers and x-overs connected to the (hopefully) high-impedance signals present inside of the RCU without using an LOC (and bypassing the "bass nanny"* function of the hybrids).

*The factory audio systems use hybrid amplifier chips that have a built-in function to decrease bass output once the system volume is set above 50%. I assume this is intended to limit "clipping" at higher volumes from an underpowered stock (basic/Mach/JBL) amplifier. Using an LOC connected to the speaker outputs would still leave the "bass nanny" function active. If you turned the volume beyond the center (wider) "dash" on the ICP display, you would lose bass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
after reading that thread and looking at some data sheets, i think i could just modify a stock RCU so the audio can just go into my amp witch should give better audio and save me some money.
So i'm just going to now get a stock RCU now just in case i mess something up doing this.
I guess i will report back in a few weeks once i get the parts.

Edit: when i was looking for a stock RCU i found a JBL unit from a 1996 sable and got it for half the cost of the stock RCU

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, are you planning to mod the JBL, or just use it as-is? If as-is, did you also get the sub?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i got the JBL unit and i got a mach on the way.
also picked up some mach tweeters with a auto-dim mirror
I am still going to mod the rcu. i ran into some problems with the jbl rcu i couldn't get it too work with my sub. it also had some problems with it cutting off. i'm betting/hoping this is due too the way i have my two amps set up.
when i get the mach rcu i'm going to open up the stock unit and see how hard it will be to mod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts