Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd problem this morning on my 2013 SHO. I kicked the wipers on to get rid of the dew, and left them on the lowest setting for a few minutes. When I rolled the wiper switch to the off position, the wipers still ran every 30 seconds or so. I checked the auto rain sensing wiper setting, and it was still in the off position. Maybe a related issue - the headlights stayed on even though it was a pretty bright morning. I have the headlight switch in the auto position, auto high beams are off.

Annoying to say the least - any ideas? I see a manual reboot is available in the menu, but that's the whole electronics package, right?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well the headlights were on probably because you have them set ON with the wipers. Now the wipers going after turning them off, everything is a signal these days so electrical/computer gremlins are possible. Maybe moisture had something to do with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I think might be happening.

The turn signal switch (Motorcraft SW-7032) has a glitch in it. There are several youtube videos out there showing how to change the switch out, although nothing exactly like a '13 Taurus. Seems to be fairly common, as there are some videos with +40K views, and the switch design has been in Ford vehicles since 2006.

Yes, dundun, since the wipers think they are still on, the headlights remain on. Good call.

Looks like Ebay to the rescue, to the tune of ~$35, plus an hour of wrench time. Youtube comments reference about $425 for the dealer to fix.

Hardest part of this has been to find the right part, since there is a rain-sensing and non-rain sensing version. I had better luck referencing 2013 trucks and vans since they use the same part.

To make the wipers shut off for now, I'm going to pull fuse #4 (wiper motor relay). I'll check fuse #45 too, a 5 amp rain sensor circuit, but that's a long shot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the part from the local dealer for $51. I wasn't 100% sure I had the right part online, so I went with the dealer (faster delivery too). They quoted me an hour of labor ($118/hr), but I think I can pull this off.

I pulled the #4 fuse to keep the wipers off. Like usual, the fuse fought me until it popped out all at once, but at least this time it didn't disappear into the engine bay.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If that Motorcraft SW-7032 is the issue, I think for the sake of all Ford owners you should carefully disassemble the faulty one and see if you can determine where the issue/fault occurs and if it could somehow be field repaired or improved upon (here in Florida the term is redneck engineered). Take pics and let us know what you find.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced this on my 2014 PI, picked up a new one on ebay for about $30 shipped - I had the same issue, anytime I would use the wipers, after turning them off, they would stay on the lowest speed setting. If I would turn the knob fully in both directions fast, a couple of times, that would usually work to turn them off completely.

The job took about 20 minutes - and will be much easier if you turn your steering wheel to the left until the buttons are in a vertical position - that makes it WAY easier to get to the two torx screws you need to remove, to slide the old module out... don't ask me how I know... :-D No cables to connect or anything - it a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I haven't picked up the part yet, as I was busy watching the total eclipse from the top of a peak in the Wind River Mountains yesterday. I did run a scan using my FORScan lite program. It came up with B1131:08 - 08 wiper motor module steering column control module. Since I forgot to replace the #4 fuse for the wiper motor before running the scan, I may have an odd error code, but the gist of it should be B1131.

Thanks for the tip, klrsmith.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knocked this job out last night in 45 minutes. What you need:

SW-7032 Turn Signal Switch
T-10 torx screwdriver
7 mm socket

1. Turn the steering wheel about 90 degrees to the left to give you room to access the turn signal. Pull the shroud under the steering column. You need to take out 2 screws at the bottom; everything else should be a press fit that pops out with a gentle pull.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195041&thumb=1

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195042&thumb=1

You can see the two screw locations on the bottom.

2. Remove 3 screws holding the underside of the steering column shroud on. The one at the bottom is partially obscured by some sheet metal, so you'll have to move the steering column around with the controller under the turn signal to line it up. This screw is why the part in step 1 had to be removed.

3. Pull apart the top and bottom of the steering column shroud. This was the hardest part of the job. You pull the front apart and then push the bottom back to unhook the little hook shown here.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195050&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
PART TWO

4. Remove 2 #10 torx screws holding in the turn signal and the column adjuster. This is where I found that the bottom screw was very loose. Turns out that the screw hole had been stripped out at the factory, and I put a slightly larger screw in it's place to hold things down better.

5. Pull the column adjuster assembly out first, since it overlaps the turn signal. You pry two end clips open, then pull straight out. Then the turn signal comes out straight too. Picture is of the new turn signal. There are contacts and circuit boards - nothing really to troubleshoot. There was plenty of dielectric grease in the contacts, so I didn't add any new goo there.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195057&thumb=1

Here is the area with everything out.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195065&thumb=1

6. Install new SW7032 turn signal switch. The arrow points to the larger screw head I used to hold the turn signal and column adjuster down better. I'm not sure the stripped screw had anything to do with the original problem, but if you are going this far into the shift column you might as well have a new turn signal to install. Edit : don't install the screws until you've reinstalled the column adjustment assembly, as it overlaps the bottom screw hole.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=195073&thumb=1

7. Button everything back up. Not too hard of a job, and I hope it lasts the life of the SHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great write up!.

i was just driving home tonight and out of the blue the wipers came on, on the lowest setting, and by the sound of things looks like this might be my issue.

i have a 2010 SEL, do you guys think its the same switch??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could be the same. Have you checked for codes yet? Are the headlights on due to the wipers running?

Remember there are rain-sensing and non-rain sensing modules - does your SEL have that option?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wipers quit on me this morning. I'm posting to kick this up to the top to make it easier to find once I get it figured out. Likely need a new module again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts