Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I come from Sweden, I am new in this forum and I am the owner of a Ford Taurus Station Wagon GL, -94 (there are not so many of them here as in the US – most Fords are “Mondeos” here). The other day the windshield wiper fluid function failed. I thought immediately it was the pump that had broken down but then I discovered that the windshield wiper would not work in any position besides “high” or “low”. So, for example, if I press the button for the windshield wiper fluid, the windshield wipers will not move and there will be no water on the windshield. If I turn the button to “high” the wipers work fine. So, this made me believe that it is not the pump which has failed – it seems more like some other electrical error. Anyone who has any ideas about what the problem may be? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely
Sten

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The MFS (Multi-Function Switch) is probably dirty. If you use the search function at the top of the page, you should be able to find the directions on how to clean it.

EDIT: Welcome to the TCCA Sten. We have members in the UK and Poland, but I believe you are the first Swede.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Aug 5 2004, 06:52 PM
The MFS (Multi-Function Switch) is probably dirty. If you use the search function at the top of the page, you should be able to find the directions on how to clean it.

EDIT: Welcome to the TCCA Sten. We have members in the UK and Poland, but I believe you are the first Swede.
I am in no way an expert on the MFS switch, but it seems odd that if the MFS switch is dirty the rear tailgate window washer would be affected since the location of the Wagon tailgate wiper and washer are in a completly differnt location than the MFS switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ohhhhh. I thought that button controled the rear and front glass winshield wiper fluid. Sorry to hijack, but how the heck to you work a front winshield wiper fluid?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Aug 6 2004, 12:13 AM
Push inward on the MFS.
OK thanks. Sorry about that... :oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello
Thank you all for the useful advice. I will try to have look inside the MFS of my Taurus (see the attached not so good picture). I am naturally a bit afraid some spring will jump out and disappear forever, but that is one of these challenges in life one has to live with I guess. I’ll let you know how it goes shortly.
Sincerely
Sten

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by SHO Continental@Aug 6 2004, 01:18 AM
nick you could have just asked me, after all I am the switch masta.. here are a few goodies:

that's a trac. asst. "off" switch
:lol: I know gen 4's have a differnt button for the traction control, and I thought that was a first. What gen or car had that Traction button?

G

·
Originally posted by Nick986+Aug 6 2004, 07:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nick986 @ Aug 6 2004, 07:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SHO Continental@Aug 6 2004, 01:18 AM
nick you could have just asked me, after all I am the switch masta.. here are a few goodies:

that's a trac. asst. "off" switch
What gen or car had that Traction button? [/b][/quote]
It's a secret..

:unsure: fine fine, it was off of a 95 Mark VII

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello
I’m back after trying to get the water pump and the interval for the windshield wipers to work. All fuses seem to be all right. I cleaned the Multi Function Switch and that was really needed (however, as I feared, a small spring jumped out when I took the MFS apart – but I was very lucky to find the pieces and to figure out where the spring and the caps for it was originally located). However, this did unfortunately not solve the original problem. The wipers work only on “high” and “low”, and the pump is not pumping. After that I “hotwired” the pump which seems to be working fine. So perhaps it is some sort of relay problem? Anyone who knows where the relays for the windshield wiper and pump are located? Looking forward to any reply about this problem.
Sincerely
Sten

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
my 96 does the same thing...I have to turn the right turning signal on and hold it and sumtimes push it forward to turn on the highbeams...then it squirts...lol

people probably think i am nuts when there in front of me... righ signal, high beams flashing, wipers flyin and juice a squirtin...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not surprised by your comment (tmonster). Last year the speed control would shut off if I used the turning signal. The problem disappeared after I changed a broken light bulb for the front lights. The electrical system in the Taurus seems a bit intricate. The wiper+high beam maneuver did not help in this case unfortunately. So I am going to see if I can get some hints about where the relays are located for the pump and windshield wipers. Anyone who knows more about this?
Sten

1 - 14 of 14 Posts