Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 1990 Taurus and there is a problem with the windshiled wipers. It doesn't do this all the time, but it is rather annoying.

Sometimes when I push the washerfluid switch, the fluid comes out, blah blah windshield get clean, but the wipers don't always turn off. what gives? I have to turn the ignition off to get the wipers to stop. Even if I move through all of the different switch positions they will not shut off, so I don't really think its the switch. I have also had it a couple of times where the wipers will stop, but strait up, wtf thats really annoying. You can hear a click from under the dash when they start, and when they stop, but when they don't stop there is no click. Is there a hard to reach relay or something that might be wearin out?

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Sounds like a sticking switch to me. Either take it appart and clean it with electircal contact cleaner, or replace the switch

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like a sticking relay that the switch activates. I don't know where the relay is on a '90 but will check my '92-'93 diagram.

·
Registered
52 Posts
According to the manual it could be a loose connecter. these wipers are controled by an electronic control modual called the wiper control modual(wcm)so a lose wire means it won't know whats going on. Second is a bad motor or WCM. Third a bad switch. The WCM is located above the throttle pedal, looks like way up there. Looks like the easiest thing to do is ckeck all the connecters for a start. Ihave the trouble shooting procedure and diagram if you need it.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm maybe it is just a loose connector, maybe Im rattling it in and out of place with my system. I will check that in the next couple of days.
Thanx JCC

Ben

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check the archives. There's a good two page article on how to clean the switch. I had trouble with mine working at certain intervals and not others, or turning off at random intervals. Cleaning the switch cured the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Jan 20 2004, 02:18 AM
Hmm maybe it is just a loose connector, maybe Im rattling it in and out of place with my system. I will check that in the next couple of days.
Thanx JCC

Ben
There's actually a Wiper Control Module under the dash that controls the wiper operation. Givin the anomaly as you've described it, it sounds like one of the relays in there are bad. You can find a replacement at your local bone yard. Ford no longer carries them.

The module is attached to the same bracket as the chime module.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that is what I am thinking, the wipers work fine, but its like one of the relays is messed up. So you mean I can discover where that damn ding comes from! good. maybe i will go get one out of a 97 hyundai so i can have a unique one! lol Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts