Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are instruction on how to clean the multi-function switch / control rod for the Gen II when the intermittent setting for the wiper blades isn’t working right.

1) Pop off the very outer cap of the control rod with a knife.

2) Remove the screw and the spring
3) Take out the white part. See the 4 metal contacts? That what you need to clean.
4) Using rubbing alcohol and q-tips clean those 4 contacts and the inner metal contact. You can also clean the grease off the other components, its really up to you.

5) Replace the white piece and the spring. Make sure the 2 copper pill-shaped aligners connected by a spring is centered.
6) Place the serrated black section back on the control rod aligning and cut out to the keyed section of the white piece and then rotating to the off position.
7) Press in. Then replace the screw and cap.

B

·
0 Posts
Excellent information! Would you mind if we added this to our maintenance pages?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, go ahead.
I wouldn’t mind doing others as needed. Any requests? I forgot to take pictures when I replaced the front speakers but it would be nice to have an online manual for repairs. The ones sold are just cryptic at times and often lacking needed pictures.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
fantastic info. When I got my 96 GL. the washer wasnt working.

I did the same thing mentioned in this post. I found a lot of grease..in there...

i cleaned it a little.. and speayed a little wd 40. and put it back... 1 yr later.. its all good...

but I did not that this wiper washer thingy was called the multi function switch...

now i know

thanks.. nice picture there beats any service manual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts