Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 Taurus that I maintain very well. It has 12K miles on it and I have already replaced the wiper blades twice.....but continue to have a minor-but pesky problem/ noise. It seems like just a few months after the blades are replaced that they "chatter" or moan their way across the windshield-especially if it is not raining really hard. I do have delay wipers and use that option, but I have never had this problem as ongoing as it is with the two Tauruses I have had, a '99 and '03.
Any ideas....or is it just because the wiper is so large, or the curvature of the glass

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
It may not help that the driver's wiper is 21" long, but I don't think the problem is caused by design. I've driven many other vehicles with the same problem.

Many wiper blades fail because they are not maintained. I don't think people really consider it a maintainable item, just replace them when they crack. But, each time you wash your car, or use the window squeegee at the gas station, take a wet rag and run it across the edge of the blade. Dirt and debris get trapped along the surface and prevent a good clean swipe. Also products like RainX really help. The remove surface tension allowing water to bead and wisk away, and they essentially lubricate the glass which helps the wipers move across quietly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey All

I have also found that using a top grade wiper such as Bosch can help. It's a little more expensive, but well worth it in wipe quality and noise. I did get a deffective pair from pepboys once that streaked but they exchanged them for fresher stock with no problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's a little more expensive, but well worth it in wipe quality and noise
Mmmm Hmmm... just like Angel Soft. :flush: :lol: I'm sorry, that just struck me as funny.

I noticed my 2000 doing that this morning. There was just a light mist and even on the lowest setting it would chatter like crazy even on the wet windshield. I'm failry sure mine is due to the age of the wipers, though. I wish the multi function lever had a "mist" function like my 626 does.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I know the Gen III has a mist function. It is the same as the windshield wash, but instead of pushing in and holding it, just kinda tap it. Blades go across once with no washer fluid.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you use an automated car wash with the hot wax, the wax will build up on the windshield. This will also reduce the effectiveness of Rain-X. It is near impossible to get off.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wash the windshield with water and ammonia. Wash the wiper blades, too.
My brand-new Sable's wipers chattered like mad, until a guy at the gas station told me about the "hot wax" used in pre-delivery prep at the dealer. I took the car home and grabbed a rag, a bucket, and a bottle of Bo-Peep and went to work. You should have seen the greenish waxy stuff the ammonia removed! The wipers never chattered again, in 125,000 miles!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Oct 14 2004, 11:18 AM
If you use an automated car wash with the hot wax, the wax will build up on the windshield. This will also reduce the effectiveness of Rain-X. It is near impossible to get off.
I didn't consider that.... but I always wash by hand.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you have spots on the glass (from rain sitting on the car in the sun...) try waxing the glass. I know it sounds strange, but it works well. It leaves the glass clean and smooth, by removing the stubborn mineral deposits that cleaning products never seem to touch.

I would expect that to help the wipers move more smoothly across the glass.

Just apply somewhat less wax than you would to the paint and rub a little harder during removal. I've been doing this since I switched to Meguiar's TechWax two or three waxings ago. My windows are easier to see through than since the car was new and, as an added benefit, the water beads up and actually moves off the windshield, even without wipers on the highway...(like with RainX I guess)...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I pull my wipers off every month or so and throw them in a sink filled with warm water and some simple green (or similar product).

The dirt and crap that comes off of them is surprising. Once they have been soaking for a few minutes I take to them with an old sponge, and thats when you really see the dirt and crud come off.

I found this cleaning extends the life of the blade, and it eliminates crappy wiping.
Rain X helps too!

-DC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts