Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Mercury Sable with a duratec. Sometimes the windshield wipers will work, sometimes they won't. I'm not for sure if it's the switch, wiper motor, or the GEM module. I replaced all of the relays in the box between the battery and the fender but still no go. Is it common for the multi function switch to cause this? everything else on the MFS works like it's supposed to, even the windshield cleaner.

I plan on going back to a couple of pull a part places to look for a few items unrelated to this and may pull a GEM module if that may be the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are the conditions when they work and what are they when the wipers won't work?
Or is it random?
Could it be a bad ground somewhere?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Completely random, started about 5 months ago, but has gotten progressively worse.
Could be a bad ground that's being shaken up or a kinked wire.
Not entirely sure though.
It could be something entirely different, test voltage drop across the circuit and see where the connection is being lost if you can recreate the problem.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Might clean/replace mfs (multi-function switch). Click on the topic finder at the top of this page and/or access the wiki from the home page.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might clean/replace mfs (multi-function switch). Click on the topic finder at the top of this page and/or access the wiki from the home page.
Thanks Sheila, I saw that earlier while searching the forums and it's on my to do list tomorrow, but with my luck, it will be the very last thing that I try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a very hot day at two different salvage yards, I can rule out the GEM module, I also cleaned the MFS but still the same results. As much as I hate to, I'm going to buy a new wiper motor and drop it off at my mechanic this week and have him put it on after he puts the new rear struts on.
The day wasn't a total loss though, I did pull 1995 and 1999 Taurus SHO instrument clusters, too bad there wasn't much else worth pulling off of them other than the engine out of the 1999, maybe another day on the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the MFS, still same problem. Bought a new wiper motor today and was going to install it but when I was removing the old one, it looked like the plug connection might be a little loose, so I left it in and put it all back together. Now the wipers only work on high, no intermittent or low. I wonder that if maybe I didn't align the wipers in the correct position if it would cause that? Going to mess with it again tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts