Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The windshield washer on my 97 Taurus wagon does not work. The wipers work fine. I have removed the pump and tested it. It works fine when out of the vehicle. My Chilton manual wiring diagram tells me that the problem could be in the multifunction switch, the generic electronic module (whatever the heck that is), or the washer motor relay (can't find this relay on the underdash or underhood fuse panels). Does anyone have any suggestion as to what would be the part most likely to fail and where is that mysterious washer motor relay? <_<

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not found a blown fuse. The wiring diag shows the washer working off the same fuse as the wipers. The wipers work well.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Did you test the + lead going to the motor? Could be a frayed wire. Do that and back track.

Also, did you test the motor while still mounted, or did you test after removal.... if removed, check for a good ground.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checking the ground is something I didn't think of. Where is the washer relay?

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I am fairly certain that it grounds itself to metal, meaning it may not have a seprate ground wire. If this is the case, clean the metal where the pump is mounted, and the pump base itself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pump is mounted to the bottom of the plastic washer fluid reservoir. The pump is powered and grounded through a two wire connector that plugs into the side of the washer motor. I will check the ground wire for continuity tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:huh: The windshield washer on my 97 Taurus wagon does not work. The wipers work fine. I have removed the pump and tested it. It works fine when out of the vehicle. My Chilton manual wiring diagram tells me that the problem could be in the multifunction switch, the generic electronic module (whatever the heck that is), or the washer motor relay (can't find this relay on the underdash or underhood fuse panels). Does anyone have any suggestion as to what would be the part most likely to fail and where is that mysterious washer motor relay?
<_<

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
If I could pin the blame on any one part, I'd say the multifunction switch. Mines a little flaky and it dosen't usually work the 1st time, I'll have to pust it down and jiggle it around to get the sprayer to work. Take the wiring harness out for the multifunction switch and test continuity on the pins for the sprayer button. If you get none, the switch is bad, if you get continuity, then the switch is fine and it's time to look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
On the end of your turn signal/wipers there is a small black cap. Pop it off, and clean all the crap out of it. THen put the cap back on, and see if that might help it out a bit. If not, i'd do what 93 Sable said.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Try spraying a lot of WD 40 down the hazard button and work the switch in all its directions. It is better to remove the switch and do this but is a bit of a pain. Taking the cap off is only for ther wipers themselves.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good advice. I've checked the ground to the washer motor and it is good. When I had the washer motor out, I was able to easily blow through the hose to the sprayers, so I know there is no blockage. I will check the multifunction switch next, but where is that mysterious washer relay? I have heard that on earlier models the relay is integrated with other functions and that it costs $300.00 from Ford (gulp)!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Try removing the MFS and opening it completely, there are a lot of cooper pieces that can be come corroded. Easy to clean off with a little alcohol and an eraser or fine sandpaper.

THe switch is easy to remove, be careful opening because there is a small wire conencting the two halves that I had to soldir back on.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I wouldn't bother taking one apart other than the cap on the end. I just took mine out and sprayed it down with WD 40 while working all the functions. Do this repeatedly. The end cap is for the intermittent wipers and does have some grease that gets hard. There is a small set of contacts and a spring that are in there. Clean the tips of the contacts with some fine emery cloth after getting the hard grease out. Use some contact cleaner and re-lube with petroleum jelly.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would like to thank all those who contributed to the eventual solution to this problem. I ended up dismantling and repairing the multiswitch. The little red wire, inside the switch, that controls the washer had broken off from its clip. This is apparently a weak point of this switch (the three wires for the washer and wiper have to bend every time you signal for a turn; they eventually break off). The rest of the switch seemed fine but I polished the contacts with fine sandpaper and reapplied petroleum jelly to prevent corrosion.

The most difficult part of the entire operation was removing the steering column covers to get at the switch. The description in the Chilton manual is almost useless in this regard. Sometimes it seems that the proceedure descriptions in the manuals are only understandable if you already know how to do the described proceedure ....... but that's a rant for another day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldn't bother taking one apart other than the cap on the end.
How do you get the cap off? Does it just pull off? Which part of the cap comes off? Is it the entire part that turns or is it just the little disc on the end?

SHOZ123,
The diagram that you posted does not have the test for the washer/wiper. Could you please post that diagram? Where are you getting these diagrams from and where can I get one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts