Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did the partial replacement using some "fuel line" hose from Sears Hardware (i.e. rated for high temperature), and have had no problems over about 5 years. Same issue on a 2005 Windstar. Seems to be a common problem on Fords of this time period with the washer fluid hose not holding up to engine compartment temps.

The two main things that I did was to
1.) Use a larger hose, fitting it over the old one. (Using barbed fittings to patch a hose simply doesn't work well as the old hose will just break farther down shortly.)
2.) Use some zip ties to hold pin down the hose to the body at the patch. You want the replacement (higher quality) hose to flex when the hose opens, not the stock material. The stock hose gets brittle due to heat and the breaks from the motion.

I have doubts about recommending to buy a whole stock hose set. Unless the material has changed, I would expect it to fail rapidly. While I have found most Ford/Motorcraft items to be of very high quality, I think something as non-critical as the washer fluid lines may have gotten overlooked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The windshield washer fluid hose on both my '98 and '02 cracked where it flexed from opening the hood. Symptoms were reduced flow until only a dribble was coming out of the nozzles. I originally looked at replacing it but soon realized that would be a lot of work as the hood blanket would need to come off and the other end of the hose goes into the fender well and to the washer pump. I then thought that perhaps I could splice in a new section of hose and tried to find a hose with the same diameter and some of those plastic hose connectors (barbs?) When I was unsuccessful at that I had an idea and asked the parts counter guy if he had any hose that fit over the washer hose. Turns out a 7/32" ID hose is exactly the right size to slide on over the old hose. I got appoximately one foot (at a cost of 65 cents) of hose, cut out the rotted area of the original hose (I needed to pull the hood blanket down a bit to get to solid hose on the hood side), put a little lubricant on the ends of the new hose (read "spit") and slid the new hose over the old hose about 1 inch on each end. The 7/32" hose fit nice and tight over the original hose, the washer now works great (instead of pumping fluid all over the engine compartment), doesn't leak at all and best of all it cost less than a buck to repair.

I went to Advance Auto today to get 2 feet of 7/32" ID windshield washer hose to connect from the strut mount to just under the hood blanket (1.5 feet would prob do as I had extra.) I agree, it does fit snug over the existing hose. However, a 3/16" ID hose would be a nice TIGHT fit. You will probably have to use some lube or soap and water at the very least, but a much tighter fit than the 7/32" ID.

This is not to say it won't work well if that is all you have. I had to use two zip ties because it was leaking out slightly from where I connected the hose near the hood blanket. So a 7/32" ID will do the job "OK", but a 3/16" would probably do a better job. Credit does go out to rheckber for getting us the information for starters; so I do thank you for that!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my 02 Taurus. It was an easy fix. I was gonna replace the barbed connector and Autozone wanted almost 4 bucks for it. So I got a brass barbed one from Home Depot for a fraction of the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I think you guys just need to break down and buy the kit the from Advance Auto. I think it was under $20 and with those coupon codes out there, probably under $15.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
So this fits directly from the pump to the nozzle? I think I saw it on rock auto for around $10

Sent from my rooted Note II
Yes, it's pretty straight forward. It's about $8 from rockauto, then about another $5 for shipping. Too complicated just to save a couple of bucks, but worth it if you're not in a rush I suppose. It just got too annoying at one point so I just stopped by a store and got it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, it's pretty straight forward. It's about $8 from rockauto, then about another $5 for shipping. Too complicated just to save a couple of bucks, but worth it if you're not in a rush I suppose. It just got too annoying at one point so I just stopped by a store and got it.
I had planned on getting a few other things too, so I was just gonna throw this on the same order haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
I read most of the first 3 or 4 pages and no one has mentioned just where the hose connects to the motor which I'm assuming is part of the bottle. Do I need to have the car on a lift to replace the entire hose? Is the connecti8on to he bottle accessed from under the car?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I read most of the first 3 or 4 pages and no one has mentioned just where the hose connects to the motor which I'm assuming is part of the bottle. Do I need to have the car on a lift to replace the entire hose? Is the connecti8on to he bottle accessed from under the car?
Thanks
Where is your leak? The leak we're talking about has the hose coming from a tee near the strut tower and going to the nozzles, there's no messing with the bottle or the motor. It's understandable that it would leak there because the hose flexes when you raise and lower the hood. Once you have the hose, it's a simple 10 minute fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where is your leak? The leak we're talking about has the hose coming from a tee near the strut tower and going to the nozzles, there's no messing with the bottle or the motor. It's understandable that it would leak there because the hose flexes when you raise and lower the hood. Once you have the hose, it's a simple 10 minute fix.

+1: Its a ten minute fix end to end with the OEM hose assy. Snaps right onto the strut tower bolt. I might cover the vulnerable section with wire harness conduit too

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
OEM might be the way to go, the one I got from the auto parts store just popped off a couple days ago. Thought I was out of windshield washer fluid, but it was just spraying all over the engine. Had to use a piece of duct tape to stop it from popping out again. Wonder how long that will last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a Dorman unit for my 1996 Taurus. It cost me $25 which included postage to the middle of the desert in Australia.
Other than me breaking the nozzles as I removed the old hoses and having to reglue them things went smoothly and quickly and I have not needed to replace them since.
I am very happy with the aftermarket ones but I would be happy to find replacement nozzles, new or used, for on the bonnet.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts