Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
23,322 Posts
If it happens again, 7/32 in. vac. hose works great for splicing. If you want the entire washer hose assy. from ford, the part# is #3F1Z-17A6-05AA for about $15. This includes hoses, connectors and bracket. Someone said you can also source a dorman assy. from the Help! section at most auto part stores for about $8-10? Heard the dorman assy. was ill-fitting and crappy materials? Pretty rough finding a decent one at salvage yards.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
To be lazy, I just took a piece of the broken section of hose to autozone and used some vacuum tubing that fit tightly over it.. and then just stuck both CLEAN CUT ends into the tubing. Problem solved!

·
Registered
670 Posts
When my hose became cracked beyond further repair it was still good right where it mounted at the strut tower but bad all the way up to the hood.

The hood blanket comes off easy and then the new hose snaps right on. I have been having bad luck with the cheap Dorman piece which is not a perfect fit. It was hard to snap in and loose on the strut tower piece. I ended up gorilla gluing it into the strut tower part and its fine now and has been working fine, its just a hose, any piece that fits and can hold pressure will work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well now i know how to fix my hose it completly broke off its been like that for a year i thought i would have to buy the whole thing new now i dont

·
Registered
67 Posts
Today I went to the local auto parts store and bought 3' of 7/32" hose and went back home and fixed my 00 Taurus and fixed my wife's 03 Sable. She is happy and I can see again! Thanks for the tip! Wacky

·
Registered
697 Posts
Need to repair a break in the W/W fluid hose

somewhere near the reservoir outlet.

Assume that means having to remove the passenger side front tier and the fender well lining?

Though 7/32" vacuum hose appears to work to splice breaks, would 3/16" be required to replace the line?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm so tired of fixing mine, I keep putting on patch, after patch. Is there a way to solve this problem permanently? My hose keeps getting pinched, smashed, kinked, and ultimately melted (in the most recent case). It gave me a scare as I smelled something burning and I checked to see what it was and voila!

What I love about my back-up car, a '98 Stratus, is that depite the fact we have 265,296 miles on it, we have never had the washer hose get caught in the hood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a '98 Sable with the same problem so many others have described. The hose for the windshield washer fluid degraded to the point of breaking. I wonder if it may be due in part to the way the hose is routed, because the wear seems to in line with the serpentine belt. Oil, grime and whatever else that gets on the belt is flung at that part of the washer fluid hose.

I chose the 7/64" inner diameter hose solution, which the local auto parts store had for $0.99/foot. Had to go ask for it though, they hide it in the back with the other belts and hoses and things. Just make sure you get hose with an INNER diameter of 7/64", not outer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
eh there,

I just replaced mine with a Dorman 924-250 ($9 bucks on amazon). I'm a prime member so it showed up in two days. It replaces from the firewall link forward. Build quality was fine and I shouldn't have to worry about the nozzles or inline garbage that may or may not be there. It was very easy to replace on my 97 gl with 140k

dh

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am on my third hose (including the original) kit. BOth replacements cost around $30 and both cracked then broke in the same spots. I ended up cutting the bad section and replaced with brake line and ended up having duct tape under the hood to protect where I put wire ties around the brake line.

Would small hose clamps actually work so I don't have to have the tape under there any longer?

·
Registered
541 Posts
The windshield washer fluid hose on both my '98 and '02 cracked where it flexed from opening the hood. Symptoms were reduced flow until only a dribble was coming out of the nozzles. I originally looked at replacing it but soon realized that would be a lot of work as the hood blanket would need to come off and the other end of the hose goes into the fender well and to the washer pump. I then thought that perhaps I could splice in a new section of hose and tried to find a hose with the same diameter and some of those plastic hose connectors (barbs?) When I was unsuccessful at that I had an idea and asked the parts counter guy if he had any hose that fit over the washer hose. Turns out a 7/32" ID hose is exactly the right size to slide on over the old hose. I got appoximately one foot (at a cost of 65 cents) of hose, cut out the rotted area of the original hose (I needed to pull the hood blanket down a bit to get to solid hose on the hood side), put a little lubricant on the ends of the new hose (read "spit") and slid the new hose over the old hose about 1 inch on each end. The 7/32" hose fit nice and tight over the original hose, the washer now works great (instead of pumping fluid all over the engine compartment), doesn't leak at all and best of all it cost less than a buck to repair.
Read This

·
Registered
541 Posts
The windshield washer fluid hose on both my '98 and '02 cracked where it flexed from opening the hood. Symptoms were reduced flow until only a dribble was coming out of the nozzles. I originally looked at replacing it but soon realized that would be a lot of work as the hood blanket would need to come off and the other end of the hose goes into the fender well and to the washer pump. I then thought that perhaps I could splice in a new section of hose and tried to find a hose with the same diameter and some of those plastic hose connectors (barbs?) When I was unsuccessful at that I had an idea and asked the parts counter guy if he had any hose that fit over the washer hose. Turns out a 7/32" ID hose is exactly the right size to slide on over the old hose. I got appoximately one foot (at a cost of 65 cents) of hose, cut out the rotted area of the original hose (I needed to pull the hood blanket down a bit to get to solid hose on the hood side), put a little lubricant on the ends of the new hose (read "spit") and slid the new hose over the old hose about 1 inch on each end. The 7/32" hose fit nice and tight over the original hose, the washer now works great (instead of pumping fluid all over the engine compartment), doesn't leak at all and best of all it cost less than a buck to repair.
read this!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rock Auto 12 bucks bought one this week

Replace the entire line that goes from the retaining bolt (located on strut mount) to the nozzles for 12 bucks. Takes 2o minutes and wont have to worry about it again for 12 years. You will waste more money and time with a return trip in a year by retrofitting rubber hoses.

The End

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I replaced the whole assembly with one from Advanced Auto Parts it was a Dorman life time warranty. It failed in about two years. I would go with the partial replacement.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Replace the entire line that goes from the retaining bolt (located on strut mount) to the nozzles for 12 bucks. Takes 2o minutes and wont have to worry about it again for 12 years. You will waste more money and time with a return trip in a year by retrofitting rubber hoses.

The End
I went to local Ford dealer parts department.
In stock item.
About $15.00.
Factory part/hose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm on my third hose now as well. First time, parts counter guy just gave me a little rubber joint to slide over the two broken ends of hose, and that worked until the hose broke in another spot.

Replaced that with a dorman part from rockauto for < $10. Then that one failed due to me bumping it a few times while I was replacing my accumulator.

It's really easy to replace though. Like GOBULLGO said, it disconnects at the strut tower and a few push pins to remove the hood insulation. Get a push pin tool, you'll definitely use it again someday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is an old thread but I strongly recommend NOT to get the hose from Rockauto since if it does break, then you need to return it and the cost of the return is the same as the hose by itself.

I recommend paying that $24 for the washer hose at Autozone/Oreilly's (or whatever is convenient) where they also have the limited lifetime warranty so it is cheap and easy to get the replacement once it breaks again, because it will. I only had my replacement hose on the car for less than 2 months when it already broke (Dorman Part nr. 924250).

Since I ordered the hose from Rockauto, I could get a replacement if I pay another $8 (for shipping old one in) but it does not make sense compared to getting it from a local auto parts store.

Maybe that $15 hose from ford dealership might be the best option-- can anyone vouch for theirs; how has that hose been doing?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
It is an old thread but I strongly recommend NOT to get the hose from Rockauto since if it does break, then you need to return it and the cost of the return is the same as the hose by itself.

I recommend paying that $24 for the washer hose at Autozone/Oreilly's (or whatever is convenient) where they also have the limited lifetime warranty so it is cheap and easy to get the replacement once it breaks again, because it will. I only had my replacement hose on the car for less than 2 months when it already broke (Dorman Part nr. 924250).

Since I ordered the hose from Rockauto, I could get a replacement if I pay another $8 (for shipping old one in) but it does not make sense compared to getting it from a local auto parts store.

Maybe that $15 hose from ford dealership might be the best option-- can anyone vouch for theirs; how has that hose been doing?
The one I bought in late 07 (when I posted in this thread), is still on my car and functional.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used the 7/32 hose (Partial replacement) on my two cars, So far it's held up perfectly. One has had it for a year, the other at least two years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will do the partial replacement with 7/32 hose. If it fails I will report back and most likely go with the $15 ford hose, otherwise I wont post here anymore (hopefully).

21 - 40 of 74 Posts